Thank you Social Security.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Social Security.

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just wasted a day of PTO to go apply for survivor benefits. Waited in line for an hour just to find out I don't qualify. There is a limit on the income of the survivor. $19,560. For income over that, they deduct $1 off the benefit for every $3 you make. Alecia was not getting very much from SS. My income wipes it out. But hey, I can get a lump sum death benefit of $255! Just had to vent a little.

Sorry brother. Wish you did not have the added aggravation in your life.

Comment

That sounds about par for the coarse dealing with the government.

Comment

Originally posted by kerrbow View Post
        Sorry brother. Wish you did not have the added aggravation in your life.
        This was the last thing on the list of to do's. Now hopefully I can settle in to trying to get back to some kind of normal.

Comment

Yeah SS is a waste for what you pay in
          You could take 1/2 of what you pay in and over the course of your working life invest it in a simple index fund and could get better benefits

Comment

Randy, that stinks to hear. They punish people for working these days.

A small consolation, the way i understand is that you do not "lose" the benefits, instead, they are simply being deferred until you claim SSN and fully retire (assuming you make less than the income allowed). See below page 7. hope this helps a little.

Comment

Me too Randy. Since I draw a government (SAFD) pension I'm limited to 2 hundred something. After Medicare part b I get a whopping $11 a month.

Comment

Sorry op it didn’t work out and wasted your day. Hopefully �� and prayers life will get better.
                That ss rule maximum is the same if you start SS before your full ss age, try and continue to work is my understanding. After your full retirement age it doesn’t apply in working but I am not sure about survivor benefits.

Comment

I'm convinced that SSI is a complete sham.
                  Tina automatically qualified for disability, when she was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.

She was denied.
                  She appealed, and it was granted ... first check would be 5 months from date of award.

In lesser words, they told her that in that 5 months they know she'll either get better or she'll die.

On the other hand, Tina's mom, who has worked a whopping 6 months, in her whole life, is getting $800 a month from SSI.

I really wish I understood their payout matrix.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                    Randy, that stinks to hear. They punish people for working these days.

A small consolation, the way i understand is that you do not "lose" the benefits, instead, they are simply being deferred until you claim SSN and fully retire (assuming you make less than the income allowed). See below page 7. hope this helps a little.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10069.pdf
                    After digging deep into the SS web site, I saw where I can get it if it is more than my monthly benefit is. It's not going to come close.
                    Last edited by Goldeneagle; 09-07-2022, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Sorry you’ve got to go through this government bs. Since I retired I’ve been dealing with Medicare and just recently signing up for SS. It has solidified my belief that anything the government is involved in is totally FUBAR.

Comment

Thats Our government at work, I’m sorry for your loss.

Comment

The Gummint's been rapin the SS system for ages! Stealin from the poor to feed the rich!
                          There was an article a couple years back that suggested, If a person had been able to invest what the SSA had taken from their paychecks every week, for 45 yrs., they would all be millionaires when they retired. I believe that based on what my 401 K has done. I am not a millionaire but,then I did not invest heavily the early years.
                          But! the gummint's been stealin money from the SSA for so long, nobody really knows when it started!

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
                            The Gummint's been rapin the SS system for ages! Stealin from the poor to feed the rich!
                            There was an article a couple years back that suggested, If a person had been able to invest what the SSA had taken from their paychecks every week, for 45 yrs., they would all be millionaires when they retired. I believe that based on what my 401 K has done. I am not a millionaire but,then I did not invest heavily the early years.
                            But! the gummint's been stealin money from the SSA for so long, nobody really knows when it started!
                            When George W. Bush took office in his first term, that was a major agenda item.

It was to privatize part of Social Security or make a percentage of it just a private retirement account just as if a person had invested in a 401(k). you would still get a nominal monthly installment but you would also have a personal account it was your money to do with what you wished.

The Democrats went on a, “Heck no, the Republicans are trying to take away your benefits!!”, cross country tour and got it shot down.

Comment

It just ****** me off that you pay into SS to benefit you and your family only to get screwed around. This isn't going to make or break me, but it is just sad. The part that bothers me the most is the death benefit. My wife was worth more than $255. That's just a slap in the face. I'm not even going to bother with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X