Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4x4 mechanics, am I the only one really stupid crap happens to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4x4 mechanics, am I the only one really stupid crap happens to?

Last January my electronic shift started acting up at the lease. It would just shift into 4h all by itself so I crawled under and disconnected it. Month later installed a new shifter motor but noticed a lose and damaged wire on the truck side wireing harness so left it all disconnected. Been fine in 2nd since about February. Yesterday go to gas station to get gas for the mower. After pumping crank it up and go to leave and this sum ***** is in 4low. I was baffled and figured i must have put it back together back in February and the lose wire or water from the rain shorted it out. I back up and fairway a few times and suddenly felt like it popped into 4h so drove it home. Go under it and sure enough I had it disconnected so there is no chance power activated the motor. So how in the hell did it shift to low?

Originally posted by flywise View Post
    Last January my electronic shift started acting up at the lease. It would just shift into 4h all by itself so I crawled under and disconnected it. Month later installed a new shifter motor but noticed a lose and damaged wire on the truck side wireing harness so left it all disconnected. Been fine in 2nd since about February. Yesterday go to gas station to get gas for the mower. After pumping crank it up and go to leave and this sum ***** is in 4low. I was baffled and figured i must have put it back together back in February and the lose wire or water from the rain shorted it out. I back up and fairway a few times and suddenly felt like it popped into 4h so drove it home. Go under it and sure enough I had it disconnected so there is no chance power activated the motor. So how in the hell did it shift to low?
    What make and model?

Comment

Dang it, 2006 Silverado

Comment

No help on the mechanical issue. I hate to see when issues like this one pop up especially when they effect good folks. I had a run of vehicle issues last year myself, so you are not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
          No help on the mechanical issue. I hate to see when issues like this one pop up especially when they effect good folks. I had a run of vehicle issues last year myself, so you are not alone.
          I appreciate it. Just blows my mind how something like that can happen when there is nothing attached to it to make it switch. And the light on the push button inside the truck was on the 4L . Not sure how that button knew it was in 4L when the wireing harness was disconnected : just blows my mind really.

Comment

Does it also run off of vacuum?

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
              I don’t think GM does.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                no sir, just and electronic actuator motor.

Comment

was alcohol in the vicinity?

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                    was alcohol in the vicinity?
                    Nope, did it for three days actually.

Comment

Not a mechanic, but have had to replace the actuator before ( and done a whole lot of mechanicin' ). I would assume the actuator holds the correct position or at least moves/maintains the correct position at startup or switch/button activation. So if the wire is disconnected it is semifree to move without electricitly being held in place, like a servo.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                        Not a mechanic, but have had to replace the actuator before ( and done a whole lot of mechanicin' ). I would assume the actuator holds the correct position or at least moves/maintains the correct position at startup or switch/button activation. So if the wire is disconnected it is semifree to move without electricitly being held in place, like a servo.
                        I might consider that if I had not had to put a wrench and a little muscle on the pin last year to shift it manually to the right position it to put the new actuator motor on.
                        But, something like that has to be the issue because it didn’t have any power. Just flat out crazy crap

Comment

Did it feel like it was in 4Lo, or did the computer just register it that it was? Maybe there was a short in the unplugged end?

If you could feel it in 4 lo, then there's gotta be a second harness plugged into the transfer case somewhere.

On my Titan, you can't engage the locking diff unless you're in 4lo. Could your locking diff have been engaged and it was trying to engage 4lo somehow? Mine doesn't do that, it just flashes a light until you engage 4lo, but maybe it's different with yours.

Comment

Working...
                          X