McLennan County Bad Shot Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McLennan County Bad Shot Help

My Pops shot a good deer in McLennan County and thinks he may need a tracking dog. …idk though. Apparently he got the shakes and hit the deer high in the neck. He said the arrow didn’t pass through and didn’t look like it even made it through the other side. …sounds like he hit spine but it didn’t paralyze the deer.

After an hour He checked the spot where the deer was shot and found no blood….he’s gonna wait another hour and then go search for more blood and the arrow.

What do y’all think? Tracking dog or is that deer alive?
    Attached Files

I’m guessing that is a non fatal hit..

Comment

Crazy there wasn’t a pass through. Sounds like a for sure spine hit in that case, but that deer should have been right where he hit him if so. I wouldn’t expect a blood trail. Not much vascular tissue around the spine. Probably would be a tough track even for a dang good dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Might as well look. Everyone gets a dog it seems just sniff em out

Comment

Tuned in. Idk that any handlers would take that call.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            Tuned in. Idk that any handlers would take that call.
            Nope. Maybe some dude with a “dawg” might come look. No reputable dog guy gonna come look if he’s shown what is shown here.

Comment

Did your pop actually see the arrow sticking out?

Comment

That shot area is extremely fatal or the deer is fine IMO. Spine, major arteries, throat. I wouldn’t track it without a major amount of blood. So I bet he shows back up.

Comment

I made that same shot when I was 16 years old. No blood trail but deer was found dead 150 yards away. I think youd at least owe it to that deer to track it with a dog regardless of what others are saying here.

Comment

Updates?

Comment

He will probably see it chasing does in a few weeks

Comment

The dog call is worth it for piece of mind. At least then he knows he did everything possible. I think that deer is Alice if he didn't drop. Expandable or fixed blade?

Comment

Another call for help and then no more updates thread on opening day.

Comment

Working...
                          X