CWD Discovered in Limestone County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
    That was live testing correct ? Live testing was just made available to breeders last year. And if we want to release deer from our pens to our pasture we have to live test. What’s the difference between DMP being able to release bred doe from a pen (with a breeder deer they bought three years ago) into the pasture then me releasing buck fawns into our own pasture ?

No we shot 15 adult deer every year and took the samples to a vet for testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
      Pronghorns? I have had zero die off on my ranch in last 40 years? My ranch essentially borders CO for all essential purposes. I’ve lost cattle but never deer, elk or pronghorns in any measurable amount
      Yes, Wyoming has had several brutal years recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
        Finding the source is great, but slowing the spread is even more important.

Can you legitimately say with a straight face that the transportation of exposed live deer across the state has not increased the risk of CWD spread significantly more than it would have spread otherwise?

Ill put this here for reference... and keep in mind this is from 2021 before all these more recent positive detections.

[ATTACH]1103592[/ATTACH]
        Why are there some many singles? It’s a highly contagious and catastrophe disease.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
          Yes, Wyoming has had several brutal years recently.
          Their habitat isn’t exactly the pinnacle of diversity, thus they have a disconcerting lack of adaptability.

Like I said the high winter morality areas for deer/elk are normally high elevations, and caused by very heavy early or late snows. Those areas are but a segment of the overall western habitat.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
            It's very well could but none of us know what it will do here or the impact it could have. Hopefully we don't have to find out I'm just saying it hasn't had that impact on states where it's been for a long time. Doesn't scare people away doesn't keep people from eating them. They hunt just the same as they always have and have more numbers than ever.
            Your theory could be a sound one and right on the money. I'm just going by what I've read on the disease. I know we have a member here who hunts a property that is next door to a place that has cwd and has had it for years. May even be a testing/research facility. They still hunt eat the elk they kill.

I'm not a breeder don't have friends or family that are. I'm just not going condemn one group because of what others say or place blame on. They are following the laws it seems and highly doubt anyone of them want cwd or want to spread it.
            I’m not a breeder either, but have several friends that are.
            There’s lots of questions because we are all concerned for our deer herds.
            Where did they bring it in from? It started with capturing wild deer and putting them in pens, unless brought in from out of state they had to come me from somewhere in Texas.
            Could it be from feed, insects? Who knows?
            I’m told by breeders it occurs naturally in the wild?
            If you have a start up breeder and buys deer from another breeder that tested out good, then ends up with cwd, what infected them?
            Hopefully they’ll get it figured out one day.

Comment

Why are there some many singles? It’s a highly contagious and catastrophe disease.
              Those are numbers of places that exposed deer have been moved per county by Positive breeding facilities.

Comment

Those are numbers of places that exposed deer have been moved per county by Positive breeding facilities.
                So just the number of facilities that have had a positive, and that have had sold a deer, but not necessarily a positive deer?

Comment

So just the number of facilities that have had a positive, and that have had sold a deer, but not necessarily a positive deer?
                  Those are the release sites (pasture release) of exposed deer.

Exposed but no confirmed positive. Those are Tier 1.

Comment

Those are the release sites (pasture release) of exposed deer.

Exposed but no confirmed positive. Those are Tier 1.
                    Thank you

Comment

Working...
                    X