Star link user question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star link user question

What to get the star link for long stays in remote area that gets service to be able to work remotely, but this will be a an off grid location and I am not sure my solar power will be able to keep up.

So my question comes to this, if I bust the set up, thinking of getting the rv package, if it does not work out for me can you resell the equipment and only be out prescription money and any loss on equipment resale?

Following

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
      What to get the star link for long stays in remote area that gets service to be able to work remotely, but this will be a an off grid location and I am not sure my solar power will be able to keep up.

So my question comes to this, if I bust the set up, thinking of getting the rv package, if it does not work out for me can you resell the equipment and only be out prescription money and any loss on equipment resale?

I believe max power draw is 95W. Typically around 40W though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They are all over Facebook marketplace. I’d look into buying. Used one if you aren’t sure it’ll work out. Might talk to Starlink and ask about it.

Comment

Right now, Starlink makes is difficult to transfer ownership is my understanding. I have also read that that they do allow returning the equipment. The problem is there is nowhere to call and everything (communication) is online or via the app. There are groups on Facebook if you have an account there and they are very good at answering your questions. Good luck with it. We are satisfied with the service and it is not a lot more money that the line of sight limited WiFi service available where we are.

Comment

No Facebook and. I do not like the lack of information out there. My thought is if I get the mobile unit I could get rid of the house connection

So usage is about 12 amp/hrs for a 11 hr day?

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
              No Facebook and. I do not like the lack of information out there. My thought is if I get the mobile unit I could get rid of the house connection

So usage is about 12 amp/hrs for a 11 hr day?

Can't help with the power requirements.

Plenty of info by people who have experienced things but as stated, only online communication. I doubt there will be a change in the communication policy. That said, folks that have had to deal with customer service through the app have been very satisfied. We went with the RV version due to not having a permanent residence yet and we camp a lot when we do.

Comment

When i set up my RV version, i ordered every possible mount and accessory to make sure i could install it in 1 day without having to wait for parts. Ended up not needing any of it. I contacted customer service through the app and got a full refund on everything i didn't use, same day. Now another time when i lost connection it took 2 days for them to respond but luckily it started working 6hrs after it initially went out. That's that only time i've every had a connection issue so far.

Comment

If you're having problems with the internet service, how are you supposed to contact them through the app?

Comment

Cell service

Comment

Originally posted by SNKETR View Post
                      Cell service
                      Well heck. There is no service where I want to use star link.

Comment

Say you found a starlink box under your gate, in the middle of no where, with your address but someone's name you do not know on it. Quick internet search of phone number on said package is a guy hours away. Think this is some kind of scam? What do you do?

Comment

Hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by bwootton View Post
                            Say you found a starlink box under your gate, in the middle of no where, with your address but someone's name you do not know on it. Quick internet search of phone number on said package is a guy hours away. Think this is some kind of scam? What do you do?
                            That almost sounds like a stolen CC situation, perp orders it to a random address and tries to grab it before the homeowner arrives. Probably destined for FB marketplace.

Comment

Originally posted by bwootton View Post
                              Probably someone in an area that is saturated and can't get service. So the trick is to have it sent to an area where service is available. When you get the equipment you change the address on your account and presto. You now have service that you otherwise would have to wait possibly a year or more. I was going to do that but they came out with the rv version right before it was going to become necessary.

Comment

Working...
                              X