Pecan tree woes - live thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today is day 1 of 2 where a crew will begin tree removal with a 40 foot boom lift and tomorrow bring in a 60 foot lift for the biggest limbs that hang over my house and my neighbors. This is right outside my office window so it’s gonna be an interesting couple of days of work.

This tree has dropped 4 big limbs now in 3 weeks. We has a 8ph wind a couple of months back that might have weakened it and now it’s just too heavy with huge pecans. It’s a real shame. This is not one of our regular orchard pecans. It’s a very old Brazos river tree; actually two grown together.

Meanwhile my truck has a tarp over it in the driveway because everything is coated in aphid poop. Not a fan of pecan trees these days.

Crews with good equipment and insurance are running about $2200/day around here. Painful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow , I watch this in dread of what we might face , our big pecan is drought stressed, and in the back yard near my house, a crane truck is expensive and will likely break the bank!
    Hope all goes well with your removal

Comment

A ton of excellent smoker wood there.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Only upside is the guy has some super high-end Stihl with a 4 foot bar and says he can cut me a table slab right where the 3 trunks come together so it should be very highly figured. Fingers crossed for that. Otherwise he's taking the wood to sell which is fine by me.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post

Yep but I no longer have a stick burner. We prefer oak for the fireplace.

Our neighborhood has a dump/recycle center where we can go get free pecan anytime (not cut or split) but the dang trees self-prune so I have a never-ending supply right in my yard.

Comment

It sounds like Pecan Plantation may not be the spot for you.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post

When our tree in the front yard got hit by a tornado and fell on the house, insurance or tree service? wouldn’t let us keep the wood for some reason, it was a 18 wheeler load of mulch when it went out the gate
              Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 09-19-2022, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Tree guy explained to me that pecan needs to season for a full year before you split it. Unfortunately once it's split, it degrades quickly and is really susceptible to bugs so it's really a 2 year wood. He has a large lot seasoning and a big lot split ready for colder weather. I'm thinking what I've put in our fireplace just wasn't ready to burn.

Comment

Been there. It's expensive...

Comment

Small lift is here. They have to do some cleanup on other trees to make room for the big boom to work.

Last edited by TexaRican; 09-19-2022, 09:47 AM.

Comment

So $4,500 for that job?

Cash deal cheaper?

Comment

i used to have a pecan tree beside our house that covered where we parked. The aphid sap got so bad my window would get stuck and wouldnt open or close. I used to spray the tree every year to keep it from happening and it worked pretty good. Dont miss living there or that tree

Comment

I have a huge old pecan in my backyard and limbs are dying on it sure scared of the cost. I assume the drought is hurting it pretty bad

Comment

They are moving fast. Got me wondering if the 60 foot boom is really needed but safety first I guess.

Comment

We took down an OLD pecan in our back yard in 2019. It was prob 60" diameter and easily 50' tall. $2000 cash to get rid of that and haul it off. We kept a little bit for the firepit, but we'd have needed to buy the house next door to stack it all.

I've got a chunk cut down into a 3" dowel that I'm going to make a baseball bat from. And I've been using a small piece to make some knife handles.

Comment

Working...
                              X