Laguna Atascosa NWR 2022-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
    I sure was . I learned road hunting at a young age in fayette county. Skills I’ll never forget
    Lol, same. My biggest issue with setting up near a road or path is the number of other hunters you have to deal with walking all over.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
      Lol, same. My biggest issue with setting up near a road or path is the number of other hunters you have to deal with walking all over.

You don’t enjoy waiting until they get as close as possible and can shaking a rattle?![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Things to do:

1. Buy rattle.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
          You don’t enjoy waiting until they get as close as possible and can shaking a rattle?![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Originally posted by Sideler View Post
          Things to do:

1. Buy rattle.

lmfao and maybe pack in a rubber snake and some fishing line.

At Amistad I like to sit super still, have had people walk by close enough that I could touch them with an arrow reaching out and they haven't seen me. What's funny is when they're that close and do see you there's no rattle required, it scares the poo out of them.

Comment

So a couple questions I have.
            1. What the average distance shot your taking out there? I've been practicing alot at 60, but it dosnt seem like a lot of shots are that far.
            2. I drew Archery deer, can you also kill exotic on the same hunt?

Comment

Lol, not a bad idea at all because most of the time they don't see you at all. What does get to me is when they do see you or you even wave them off and they just keep going or walking all over the place or set up right across from you.

Comment

Laguna Atascosa NWR 2022-23

Originally posted by Lurchy View Post
                1. What the average distance shot your taking out there? I've been practicing alot at 60, but it dosnt seem like a lot of shots are that far.

I’m asking the same questions about Teniente!

That being said, depends where you’re at.

I shot my spike at Laguna at 50, and if I would’ve been paying attention I had a shot on a decent buck at 60 that morning. I started stalking him and got him stopped at 80 but got pinned down where I couldn’t draw because the grass was a little too low. I wound up losing him after that.

The areas I wound up hunting after that, a long shot would’ve been 40 yds or so. All just depends.

And yep! You can kill exotics.
                Last edited by Kirby86; 09-14-2022, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                    I’m asking the same questions about Teniente!

That being said, depends where you’re at.

I shot my spike at Laguna at 50, and if I would’ve been paying attention I had a shot on a decent buck at 60 that morning. I started stalking him and got him stopped at 80 but got pinned down where I couldn’t draw because the grass was a little too low. I wound up losing him after that.

The areas I wound up hunting after that, a long shot would’ve been 40 yds or so. All just depends.

And yep! You can kill exotics.
                    At teniente, I shot a small buck at 12 yards. Straight on on the chest after rattling him in from about 80. Overall, the shots there will be shorter bc it is much thicker. Id expect 25-40 yard shots
                    At Laguna, I shot my buck at 8 yards. I have had numerous shots on nilgai from 50-80 yards but passed for some reason or another. I think more shots will be longer because of the openness of some areas of Laguna.

Comment

Originally posted by Sideler View Post
                      Things to do:

1. Buy rattle.

Some tricks work. Some work to your benefit. Always have a trick in your arsenal. LANWR OG taught me that my first year. Took a few trips to set in. Never seen that man again, I hope he is doing well.

Comment

Some tricks work. Some work to your benefit. Always have a trick in your arsenal. LANWR OG taught me that my first year. Took a few trips to set in. Never seen that man again, I hope he is doing well.

Any luck at laguna this year Blu?

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                          Any luck at laguna this year Blu?

Hopefully the streak continues. Goal is to get Dad on a good nilgai. He’s been shooting daily.

I wonder- What is the oldest age hunter to ever take an archery Laguna Nilgai?

Comment

Hopefully the streak continues. Goal is to get Dad on a good nilgai. He’s been shooting daily.

I wonder- What is the oldest age hunter to ever take an archery Laguna Nilgai?

Awesome! Hope he knocks one down.

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                              Lol, not a bad idea at all because most of the time they don't see you at all. What does get to me is when they do see you or you even wave them off and they just keep going or walking all over the place or set up right across from you.

I get that, and that also gets me every year,too.

Other hunters that see you, especially when you make your position known when they encroach you(waving), and THEN keep going in complete disregard are completely ignorant hunters and don’t understand hunter etiquette on a public land hunt while in the field. This happens a lot at Laguna, it’s frustrating.

The hard part for me is learning to make adjustments on the fly. Sometimes it pays off.

I prefer to just go ahead and walk up and get to know one another and make the best of the situation. It’s been beneficial to me so far.

Comment

Magic struck twice. Archery deer in dec. General deer in Jan. Haters gonna hate. Sry!

Comment

Working...
                                X