Whitetail rut in Cottle County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whitetail rut in Cottle County

I'm doing the whitetail archery hunt at Matador WMA starting Oct 17. For you folks that have hunted that area in the southern panhandle, is there some pretty good rutting activity that time of year? TPWD has the rut just begin on their "Rut in Whitetail Deer".

In my experience, Way way early for true rutting activity. Best bet is to find a scrape or rub line or a licking limb. But too early to be rattling/grunting/hoping for chasing. Chance it’s also still 80-90 degrees too.

Hope you do a live hunt

They’ve gotten quite a bit of rain recently. Too late to help antler growth (or lack there of) but can help deer put on weight before the rut/winter.

Comment

16 years ago I hunted a ranch west of McClean(Gray county)and the bucks were chasing hard, fighting a bunch and coming to horns really good the week of Thanksgiving... A lot of bucks were busted up pretty good already so it definitely wasn't in the beginning stages.. I actually rattled up the buck I killed from out a creek bottom thick with cedars.. I watched him run a doe in there that morning and went in mid morning and rattled and he busted out of the cedar highly pizzed heading straight to me and I shot him at 30 yards.. 154" ten point..
      Last edited by PondPopper; 09-08-2022, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I would say the mid November until end of the month they will respond to the horns in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mid October is a little early. That said, there are always a few does that start earlier than the rest.

Comment

There won’t be any significant rutting activity then. It gets good about the 20th of November….every year…..like clockwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Yak blue View Post
              In my experience, Way way early for true rutting activity. Best bet is to find a scrape or rub line or a licking limb. But too early to be rattling/grunting/hoping for chasing. Chance it’s also still 80-90 degrees too.
              and same here and like all those above me too

Comment

That's way early.

Comment

Yep, the rut is closer to Thanksgiving in that area.

Comment

There are ZERO deer on that place! LOL! It has been a while but I have seen some giant muleys and whitetails there. Good luck and be carefull if you see a road that is really sandy. That sand is deep and can sink a vehicle in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Yak blue View Post

Hope you do a live hunt

They’ve gotten quite a bit of rain recently. Too late to help antler growth (or lack there of) but can help deer put on weight before the rut/winter.
                      I agree above, but congratulations drawing this tag.

I hunted Turkey there this Spring, and love that area.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions related to pastures/compartments.

I was fortunate to see a great deal of the WMA, and saw a ton of WT and Mule Deer.

Comment

Working...
                      X