No announcement yet.

Hampshire pig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting livestock will land you in jail....especially since everyone knows its his pig. All he has to do is to get the sheriff involved. I would hate to be neighbors with people that would think it is ok. You need to keep an eye on your lease mates that apparently have no morals.

-john

Comment

If I knew it was the neighbors pig I wouldn’t shoot it without trying to help trap it and get it to him. You never know when you’ll have a wounded deer hop the fence or something else.

When in doubt, I’d try and do the neighborly thing. He clearly wants it back.

That said, a tagged pig that looks feral is catching a lead pill from me. All the neighbors have my number so if they have a pig get out, and don’t tell me, well that’s on them. Lot of kids raise them for shows and then turn them loose, so an ear tag is not an off limits sign for me. They’re not like cattle and there’s a reason we are overrun with feral pigs and not feral cattle

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
        Shooting livestock will land you in jail....especially since everyone knows its his pig. All he has to do is to get the sheriff involved. I would hate to be neighbors with people that would think it is ok. You need to keep an eye on your lease mates that apparently have no morals.

-john

It’s a pig and you’re hunting a paid lease in pig woods. You ain’t going to jail for shooting it.

Game Warden already confirmed it can be killed.

I agree with you that it should be returned if caught. This neighbor apparently has a long history of trespassing on this lease also. Looks to me they are dealing with a neighbor who has “no morals.”

Comment

I would let the guy try to recover it. That is unless by trespassing, you mean he poaches the lease.

No reason to purposely make a neighbor angry and start a feud.

Comment

What kind of an idiot would leave 450 pounds of Hampshire pork to rot on the ground? Hell you could feed a lot of needy families with that one animal. Or your own for a couple years.

Comment

Do a good deed and help your neighbor. Might benefit you in the future when your tracking your deer and its gone over to his side or something. Dont tell the lease owner.

Comment

Them Hampshire pigs think they are better than all the other, kind snouty if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by Boss Buck View Post
                  Them Hampshire pigs think they are better than all the other, kind snouty if you ask me.
                  Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Boss Buck View Post
                    haha

Comment

Originally posted by Marion View Post
                      Wouldn't the pig be considered livestock? If so I wouldn't shoot it.
                      Exactly, which is why the owner of the pig needs to call the sheriff to reclaim his livestock. I'm surprised the landowner of the property you are on won't let him come get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                        Exactly, which is why the owner of the pig needs to call the sheriff to reclaim his livestock. I'm surprised the landowner of the property you are on won't let him come get it.

My thinking is (unless the lease boss is just being a jerk)

It’s not as easy as coming onto the property, putting a leash around the pig, and walking him back home. That pig is probably living his best life right now and will be hard to “reclaim.”

Boss probably doesn’t want the guy all over the lease for who knows how long looking for his pig when deer season is fast approaching.

If I owned the pig I would have called the sheriff and also the timber company to gain permission to access the property in spite of what the lease boss said.

If the pig owner has a history of trespassing and possibly poaching then all bets are off.

Comment

Don't shoot. It's someone's livestock/property/pet. If you're itching to kill something that bad, knowing the full backstory, something is wrong with you lol.

Comment

Just talked to the game warden, he said the pig is fair game to kill. The lease boss is pressing charges on the guy for tressapasing. I would hate to see all that meat go to waste, cause the guys that want to shoot is so bad will not eat it. They just want the bragging rights to say they shot the biggest one on the lease yet.

Comment

We had a group for a couple of years coming and going from a neighbor. They had ear tags and we could pet them. We never shot one...

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post

-john
                                +1. Unless it is tearing up stuff, just trap his fat butt. Or if he will follow his owner, saves the trouble of loading him.

Comment

Working...
                                X