Sighting in rifle at 25 yards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sighting in rifle at 25 yards?

I just got to wondering about something: if you were to sight in a rifle at 25 yards would the horizontal point of impact be the same at 100?

Obviously the vertical would be different, but I was curious about the left to right in this case.

It would be the same unless you make a mistake with your fundamentals and push or pull to the left or right.

Comment

Correct

Comment

And the vertical impact might be the same at 100 yards. Depends on scope ring height, but the bullet is launched from under the scope, so to get to the crosshairs it has to be moving up, relative to your scope's line of sight. It then proceeds to arc down, as gravity works against it. Eventually it drops back in line with the cross hairs.

Comment

The only fly in that ointment is the relative ease of pinpoint accuracy at 25 vs 100. It’s a good starting point but I’ve seen plenty of times that a 25 yard sighting in shot that centers the bullseye will be left or right at 100 yards, and the farther you shoot the more it will be off.

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
            It would be the same unless you make a mistake with your fundamentals and push or pull to the left or right.
            Of course. But I’m talking about a well-executed shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              The only fly in that ointment is the relative ease of pinpoint accuracy at 25 vs 100. It’s a good starting point but I’ve seen plenty of times that a 25 yard sighting in shot that centers the bullseye will be left or right at 100 yards, and the farther you shoot the more it will be off.
              That makes sense. But I assume it would be reasonably close enough to the bullseye at 100 yards that a little fine-tuning could take care of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                That makes sense. But I assume it would be reasonably close enough to the bullseye at 100 yards that a little fine-tuning could take care of it?
                Sure, like Ronald Reagan said….”Trust, but verify”.

Actually, my routine goes like this. My bench is set up over my pond dam and if I have a gun I’m sighting in, (usually a handgun), I shoot it into the back of the pond into the dirt. This gives me a good visual on where the bullet is landing. When I get close I move to my target frame where I have a large sheet of paper with a target taped on it. If I miss the target I still have a bullet hole in the paper. I adjust from there. Bolt action rifles I bore sight the old fashioned way before shooting. ARs I shoot into the dirt bank until I can get them on paper. All of this is at 100 yards. It’s just what I do.
                Last edited by Drycreek3189; 08-13-2022, 09:28 PM.

Comment

After sighing it in like you want it, you should check it at 25 yards. If you ever need to check out the rifle it's easier to find 25 yards to do it instead of a hundred.

Comment

My biggest problem may be the ammo though, not the distance. Using 117 grains out of a 22” barrel with a 1/10 twist. Eventually I’d like to get a 24” or 26” barrel, but this’ll have to do for now.

Suffice it to say it’s giving me a bit of trouble as it stands (up/down is perfect; left/right is stringing left).
                    Last edited by Etxbuckman; 08-13-2022, 10:25 PM.

Comment

yeah, the 25 is basically to get it on paper. Dial it in as close to where you want it, then you'll still want to shoot at 100 just to verify. Then you can tweak it.

Comment

My biggest problem may be the ammo though, not the distance. Using 117 grains out of a 22” barrel with a 1/10 twist. Eventually I’d like to get a 24” or 26” barrel, but this’ll have to do for now.

Suffice it to say it’s giving me a bit of trouble as it stands (up/down is perfect; left/right is stringing left).
                        As you shoot more it strings? Let it cool down longer between shots. Could be making contact with the barrel channel if the stock as well.

Comment

If it happens the more you shoot that could be one of two things either the barrel is having an issue with the heat and as mentioned before let it cool off a little longer in between shots. The other thing that could be happening is fatigue. Even if you don't think you are you could have a slight bit of fatigue. Take a break let the rifle sit and come back to it. I think one option to make sure it's not the barrel issue is have another person shoot it when you see it straffing and see if it duplicates.

Comment

sight in

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                            yeah, the 25 is basically to get it on paper. Dial it in as close to where you want it, then you'll still want to shoot at 100 just to verify. Then you can tweak it.
                            Correct / agree

Comment

35 is better...

Comment

Working...
                              X