Heroin Addict Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
    Nope nope nope. Give zero assistance. You’re just another enabler at that point. He has to run out of options. He either figures it out on his own or you get that call.
    Whatever you do don't take this advise. He is right, the court mandated rehabs are a joke. He said he will do whatever it takes, so help him get straight. Get him in a Christian based rehab that lasts for at least 6-9 months. This is your best bet. We did this with our oldest daughter and she has been drug free and gainfully employed for the last 10 years. Expensive, but well worth it IMO. I now get to visit and enjoy her instead of visiting a grave.

Comment

Thanks all, appreciate the kind words and prayers. Crazy the stories I’m hearing now that moms finally not hiding them

Comment

Most addicts end up in jail or a grave. Last week it was the grave for my sister.
        She ran out of rehabs that would take her again. Ran out of people to manipulate. Ran out of hope in Jesus which she also had for a time.
        Last week she did not wake up and there has been few tears shed for her sad to say.
        We pray for those we know about and hope that they respond to God's calling although it doesn't always work out that way.

Comment

One of my best friend's older brother, was a heroin addict for years, back in the 80s and 90s. I think up until about 8 years ago. I really don't know how he lived so long, I know back in the 80s, his problem was pretty bad, got his younger brother into some crazy situations. He would not tell his brother why they were doing something or why they were going somewhere, until after things went bad.

I never did hear the story, how he finally got off of the stuff. In the past 30 or so years, I have known many people who turned out to be coke addicts. I found I am not good noticing the signs right off, eventually, if I pay attention, or stop and thing about things they do, or the way they look. I can pick it out, but the are not as obvious as heroin addicts, or meth addicts. Heroin has to be one of the worst drugs, if not the worst.

I would ask my buddy about his brother, how he got off of the stuff, but I know it's not a subject he wants to talk about.

Comment

Sad to hear many of you guys experiences and encouraging to hear Some of them too.

Comment

My cousin who I looked up to growing up and had a lot of memories with as a teen got hooked later on in life. He went through all of the families belongings ,stole , cheated, lied Over and over . Finally he hit rock bottom and there was no where else to go for him , the police found him curled up in a corner of a crack house beaten up, living in his own fealty rags and skin and bones and that’s what it took for him . It seemed he was on deaths door before he made the change . So in my opinion like said on another post HE HAS TO WANT IT , unfortunately it will be after he has absolutely no where else to go and no else to turn to.

Comment

The difference between helping and enabling is pretty simple. Anything you do that “protects” an addict from the consequences of their actions is enabling.

Having lived through this with an addict son I can attest to what many have already stated. Nothing will EVER change with an addict until they make the choice on their own to get help. All you can do is tell them you love them and pray that God leads them to make that decision.
                Prayers for everyone having to deal with the effects of this disease.

Comment

Prayers for you and your whole family. I went thru this with my little sister, as well as my wife's older sis and younger brother. Everyone is right about the individual having to decide that they want to stop using and get their life back instead of letting the substances control them. By the grace of God all those mentioned are clean and have been for years now but I'll be the first to tell you it was an extremely hard thing to deal with watching them losing the battle time and again until they finally got their heads right and made the conscious choice to get clean and stay clean. My sister lost her kids (cps placed them with me & my family) and that was what really woke her up. My bil was in&outta jail multiple times, rehab,etc. It was tough on.my wife because we practically raised him and found out that he had hidden some dope and used needles where our kids could've gotten them and we gave him the boot. He went to jail again shortly after that and when he came out he moved away from the area, made some new friends and has been able to stay clean. He still says to this day when he sees or talked to friends from the past that the urge is still there but he remembers where it got him and he'll never go down that path again. Keep praying for your brother while loving him from a distance and be there to support your mom as she needs it more than she'll admit. Your brothers here on the green screen will be lifting you up in prayer.

Comment

If you're struggling with this and YOU need some support you should find a local Al-Anon meeting to attend.
                    I went through this with my ex-wife (alcoholic) and these meetings helped me a TON!
                    One of the best things I've ever done and I never wanted to go!
                    Very applicable to all relationships in life as well.

Comment

State run rehabs are a joke . I have personal experience with a family member . They had been in and out of a dozen different ones . Finally found a great place in Florida .White sands treatment in Ft Meyers . Herion is a bad and powerful drug . It normally ends two ways dead or in prison . The recovery rate is extremely low . Make it worse if the person don’t stick to the program after they are home . Going to meetings getting a sponsor is very important. Staying away from any addict , moving away from the area of possible. One more thing if he is on probation or parole talk to his P.O. and look in to the safe p that the prison runs . He can go to that instead of the pen . It’s a 9 month to a year intense inpatient recovery program. When there they are a tdcj inmate.

Comment

Prayers up.

Comment

People don't change unless they want to. It may take something horrible happening to change his life. He may never change. That's the only thing I know to say about it.

Comment

Look up La Hacienda in the Kerrville area. Heard good things about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                              Look up La Hacienda in the Kerrville area. Heard good things about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This place is pretty good . Had a nephew go there for a cocaine addiction. He has been clean 5 years. I think this is one of the places Dr. Phil uses .

Comment

Bit of an update..... sent him the numbers to these recommendations . Since he’s on parole he claims he can’t leave town and says nothing PO can offer will be helpful to him bc they will put him in a place full of drugs.

I thought a PO would agree to distant rehabs if they register and approve it.

Either he is truly locked down to the town, or he is lying and playing victim again.

Comment

Working...
                                X