Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any reasons NOT to build a 260 Rem for my daughter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any reasons NOT to build a 260 Rem for my daughter?

I built a rifle in 7mm-08 for my oldest daughter, and I bought a 270 CDL for my son. My middle child is due her gun, now. She has a Rem SPS in 243. I would use the action off of that gun build one like I did for my older daughter. I am thinking about doing a 260 Remington. She is full grown, at 18 years old. She used the 243 with reduced loads as a child. I think of her as recoil sensitive, otherwise I would just build another 7mm-08.
    I can load the 260 down and use 120 grain bullets and still be ahead of the 243.

I don't mean to imply that I would have her stick with the reduced loads. I'll try to work her out of them. Planning on ending up at 140 grain bullets.

Comment

My daughter in law shoots a 260 and she’s a little gal.

Comment

Go with the .260. Girls are tougher than you think. Both my daughters were shooting 12ga. In high-school. My oldest loves to shoot my 375 H&H and my youngest hunts with a .270 and 30 06.

Comment

She put down a 20 gauge in favor of a .410.
          Broke her first clay bird with that .410, but the point is she didn't like the recoil of a 20 gauge.
          I don't want to build something she won't shoot.
          The reason for asking about the 260 is I'm wondering if there is a more effective cartridge with the same availability with similar properties. Like the title says, why should I not build one.

Comment

Build it.

Comment

A 243 or 6mm creedmoor with 100-110 gr bullets is very deadly on deer and pigs

A 6.5 cm or the 260 with 120 gr bullets won't kick.

I have never been a fan if muzzle brakes but got one on my latest APR 300 WM (i know that's a different beast) and i enjoy shooting it. Probably makes that gun kick like a 260. I know shooting with ear pro all the time, even while hunting is a pain, but i bet a 260 with a brake would be like shooting a 223

Comment

Originally posted by txagyotebuster View Post
                A 243 or 6mm creedmoor with 100-110 gr bullets is very deadly on deer and pigs

A 6.5 cm or the 260 with 120 gr bullets won't kick.

I have never been a fan if muzzle brakes but got one on my latest APR 300 WM (i know that's a different beast) and i enjoy shooting it. Probably makes that gun kick like a 260. I know shooting with ear pro all the time, even while hunting is a pain, but i bet a 260 with a brake would be like shooting a 223

I agree. 260 is a good round and if it was me I’d build it and add the brake. My 9 yr old son and 13 yr old daughter shot my 308 with a break like it’s nothing. And loved my 6.5cm with a break. That 6.5 kicked as much or less than my 243.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can also get a thread protector and be able to remove the brake and put the protector on later on of she gets comfortable shooting it and doesn't need it anymore

Comment

If you didn't mind being relegated to reloading the .25 Souper would be worthy of consideration.

Comment

My grandson has shot 3 deer with his 260 at 9-10 and 11 years old. Put a can on it and its like a .22. He shot a deer last year at 289 yards. He has also shot a coupla dozen hogs out to 300 yards with it. I bought me one last year we like em so much
                      Attached Files

Comment

Wife loves her 260.
                        Has a custom barrel so little heavier than normal but I'd call it about even with my AR15 in 6.5 grendel on recoil.
                        Puts factory fusion 120 grains in almost the same hole at 100 yards so thats what she shoots.
                        My daughter doesn't care much for recoil and she shot it fine also.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn’t hesitate to build her a 260 if it’s what both of you want. I built a 7’08 for my son, loaded it with 120 gr Nosler BTs with a reduced charge of H4895. He’s now up to full load 140 gr Sierras. Can’t go wrong with either choice in my opinion.

Comment

If she is recoil sensitive it might be worth having a competent gun smith custom fit her stock. People often overlook gun fit and it makes a big difference

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X