20 gauge dove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20 gauge dove

So I took advantage of the academy super combo deal. I picked up the 20gauge mossberg. It has a 26” barrel. I’ve never pulled the trigger on a 20g much less dove hunted with one. Wondering what choke works best. We normally hunt cut overs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im sure modified would suffice

Comment

I always thought I needed a 12 gauge for more range and less cripples, then last year I went back to using a 20 after 4 years or so. 20 gauge Remington 1100 with a fixed barrel modified choke put a good hurt on doves and I even took it out for ducks too. Safe to say I’m gonna be using the 20 gauge again this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’d buy a few chokes and change them out according to how the birds are flying that day. Some days we swat them like gnats in our face, others we have to shoot them down from outer space.

Comment

I use a full choke. It works pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
            I’d buy a few chokes and change them out according to how the birds are flying that day. Some days we swat them like gnats in our face, others we have to shoot them down from outer space.

This

A wise man’s heart inclines to the right, but the heart of a fool to the left.
            Ecclesiastes 10:2

Comment

I like improved cylinder, for any ga. dove hunting. Always use imp. cyl. for kids, and if they are in our laps, I will set them up with skeet choke. Got to get the kids knocking them down.

Comment

20 ga is about all I'll use now (till I find a sweet 410) and shoot skeet all the way to light mod. Our last winter hunt I shoot briley skeet 1 and skeet 2

Comment

I put a mod in my guns & never change it unless they are flying high.

Comment

I am staying with my 28 gauge, you just have less shot selection

Comment

I just bought a Briley Dove Duster extended choke...pretty excited about trying it out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
                        I just bought a Briley Dove Duster extended choke...pretty excited about trying it out.

If I recall correctly, this is a light modified. Excellent choke for dove. I typically use a imp cyl if they are in close, like decoying in, up to modified if they are passing birds. Pretty much always imp cyl when shooting my 12.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post

If I recall correctly, this is a light modified. Excellent choke for dove. I typically use a imp cyl if they are in close, like decoying in, up to modified if they are passing birds. Pretty much always imp cyl when shooting my 12.
                          Yes sir you're correct.

Comment

There is no best choke...it depends on how they are flying / most common distance. I do a lot of dove / ww hunting & run IC, LM, M & IM most the time.

A good standard for me is a fresh field starts off with the more open chokes & as the field gets pressured I move up to tighter chokes...some rare hunts are fly over birds heading to feed / roost & every now & then shoot IM & LF only because most are flying higher.

I shoot a light kicking target round in 7/8oz & 1oz in my over/under 12ga which are pretty common weights for 20ga...a 12ga doesn't kill doves any more dead than a 410, it just gives you the option of throwing more shot with a bigger pattern.

Comment

I love a 20ga for dove!! Like said, have several chokes for close/slow and supersonic birds...

Comment

Working...
                              X