Hunting lease policy poll.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LouietheLurker View Post
    Don’t get on a lease then try to change the rules.
    The lease boss asked all members if there was anything we would like to change. That was my suggestion. Probably won't happen and I can live with it

Comment

Originally posted by Payne346 View Post
      This statement changes things IMO. I know lease rules are all over the place these days, but you are stating that your “guest” are actually immediate family, not friends, cousins, clients ect...your wife and kids should be able to hunt alone only off your lease spots allotted animals IMO. It stops there 100% though. If you were to bring, say your Dad or brother, they would need to be accompanied and still hunt off your allotted animals. This is exactly how our place is now and we don’t have any issues.
      Glad to hear it's working for yall.

I hunted a place in Llano county for 5 years that allowed guests to hunt alone like this. And I hunted a place in Lavaca county that did the same.

I don't think the place I'm on now in Sutton county will change but I can live with it because we love it. It's beautiful there, my wife and kids love it, I get to hunt with 3 old friends and the hunting is great, and the price is right.

Comment

Originally posted by bmachunter View Post
        Nice bucks!
        Both of my son's have killed bigger bucks than I ever have... and I'm very happy about that!

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
          Well there is the solution. Those people that want guests need to move to Bama or Missy, problem solved.
          Lol well like I said I knew I’d be the lone view.

To clarify though they only allowed 1 guest per member at a time, and usually had guests fees of around 20-25 dollars that went into the club account.

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
            Well things are a lot different in Alabama and Mississippi on this subject compared to Texas. Over there a guest can hunt alone and can shoot anything he or she wants as long as it’s legal or not against the club rules. And before anyone says well you’ll
            Kill all the deer if everyone is allowed to do that.. well they been doing that for decades over there in those states and they haven’t put a dent in the population. If anything there more now than ever.
            I know I’ll be the lone view on this but it’s my .2 cents for what it’s worth.
            There’s no one more particular about a rented deer than a Texan, that’s for sure.

If I couldn’t hunt with my friends & family as I pleased, I’d probably hardly ever go.

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
              Well things are a lot different in Alabama and Mississippi on this subject compared to Texas. Over there a guest can hunt alone and can shoot anything he or she wants as long as it’s legal or not against the club rules. And before anyone says well you’ll
              Kill all the deer if everyone is allowed to do that.. well they been doing that for decades over there in those states and they haven’t put a dent in the population. If anything there more now than ever.
              I know I’ll be the lone view on this but it’s my .2 cents for what it’s worth.
              I had a lease in Alabama one year. Saw one lil 2 y/o buck that season. Most members didn’t see any. Guys at camp couldn’t believe I let him walk. Guess I was in the wrong area.

Comment

Originally posted by NaClH2O_therapy View Post
                I wouldn't give up hunting this property unless something better came up in the same price range.
                I'm not overly pushing the issue with the lease boss or land owner, the lease boss just asked when we paid our first payment March 1, if there was anything we would like to see changed, and this was my suggestion based on my opinion. It probably will never change on this place and I will live with it and obey the rules and most likely won't bring up the issue again as it seems the land owner is pretty set on it and I do not want to cause any problems with the friends we have made here.

If I have the extra $ and Land owner, lease boss, and other members approve, when another spot opens up I will pay for it.

I just see the situation a little different than others. our "guest hunters" are ONLY IMMEDIATELY FAMILY.
                Not bring a buddy or client, or uncle bob...
                My wife and boys are experienced hunters, we discuss before each hunt what can and can't be shot, based off game cam surveys. Before the season starts we have always decided who will be taking the trophys, culls, and doe. We have cell phone communication as well as 2 way radios that allow constant contact during hunts.

This past season I never drew my bow or shouldered my rifle. We decided I would be taking the 1 trophy exotic buck we are allowed per season and the opportunity never came. My youngest got the trophy whitetail, my wife got the whitetail cull, and my youngest son got the exotic doe and whitetail doe. Which was all discussed before the season started.

We havent always put 2 of us in each stand every hunt when we hunted where this was allowed. Sometimes 1 or more of us sit out hunts, sleep in, stay in camp and cook, wind is bad for a stand especially during bow season, already killed their animal ect....

I have this lease right now for spending time with my boys ages 14 and 16. I've got only a short time while they still live at home and we are able to do things like this together on a regular basis.

The way I see it if I am allowed to hunt both of my stands at the same time it makes more use of the short time we do have to hunt on a lease that's 6 hours away juggling work schedules, school schedules, and with deer season and football season going on at the same time and two boys playing high school football and every other sport. Time and money are always limiting factors.so it would be nice to take advantage of all time available to increase the chances everyone has a successful season.
                Also having 2 per stand helps with pig control.

I am thankful for all the input here and glad to see that this rule is pretty common elsewhere. It is just taking some time to adjust to it being that the last two leases I hunted allowed it.
                It sounds to me like your family has it figured out

Unfortunately if you do it for your spot you are obligated to do the same for the rest.
                I can guarantee that 90% that were allowed to would not put near as much effort and DISCIPLINE into doing their part as well as you have described

If you are on a lease where all the paying members are agreeable to letting guest hunt, sit by themselves and shoot whatever makes them happy then it's all good

Comment

Just remember, the rules are not just for you! We had a place, only rule was family, no guests until all memebera filled their buck tags, then freinds where allowed. One lease member brought a friend, that apparently knew nothing about gun safety. He had shot a doe in the am, then in the evening I had heard a shot in his stands direction. Ten minutes later right ad sunset, he comes barreling thru on his 4wheeler to go to camp. So we all get done hunting go back to camp, and he had said, he fell in some cactus while looking for the deer he shot. Face was all cut up. So we all went looking for his supposed deer, couldn’t find it after hours of searching. I get a phone call the next week from anouther memeber and found out he had accidentally pulled the trigger in his stand and the stuff in his face was shrapnel, had to go to the hospital to get it all out.

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
                    We have the same rule where a paying member has to be with the guest. IMO that is the only way I would have it! Nothing worse than a non-paying member shooting something that he/she is not supposed to.
                    This is my position^^

We’ve had our age rule for bucks broken but almost inevitably it’s rationalized “well it’s the biggest buck son Johnny has ever seen” or “my guest texted me a photo but the buck he killed wasn’t the one in the photo” .

We spend way too much time and money to screw up our management plan indulging kids and guests. Meanwhile we have to push to meet our doe harvest minimum.

I, for the life of me, can’t understand why parents and kids and their guests can’t be happy with does until they’ve bought and paid for their own membership.

But I think I’m in the minority with that opinion..

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods Paul View Post
                      This is my position^^

We’ve had our age rule for bucks broken but almost inevitably it’s rationalized “well it’s the biggest buck son Johnny has ever seen” or “my guest texted me a photo but the buck he killed wasn’t the one in the photo” .

We spend way too much time and money to screw up our management plan indulging kids and guests. Meanwhile we have to push to meet our doe harvest minimum.

I, for the life of me, can’t understand why parents and kids and their guests can’t be happy with does until they’ve bought and paid for their own membership.

But I think I’m in the minority with that opinion..

Sounds like you just need to be on a lease with like minded individuals. I pay for my son to be able to hunt. I go to drink beer and cook. I want him to shoot whatever makes him happy. Fortunately for me I’m on a lease with a great group of guys that just are not very mad at the deer. If someone sees something they want to shoot, get after it. There’s a crap load more of them where that one came from.

This is my son’s first buck
                      This is his second one.

He was tickled to death with both of them and so was I. We’ll skin whatever he wants to bring back to camp. Life is too short (for me) to worry about a dang deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

BUT..... THE PAYING MEMBER MUST ACCOMPANY THEM IN THE STAND.

That part I wouldn't want to have to do, but it is a good rule. Way too many mistakes happen when you let people out on their own. Especially when they aren't experienced.

Comment

Our rules are you get one deer. You.

Comment

Our land owner rule is you can bring who ever you want, they kill off of your allotment, but, you must be in the stand with them and only one weapon per blind. I don't see a problem with it because of what has been stated before about shooting something other than what they the guest were allowed. There are several threads on here about guest getting members kicked off the lease because they shot a young buck or something else they were not allowed to shoot. I however do see your side of the issue. Unfortunately I have no good answer for you.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                              Sounds like you just need to be on a lease with like minded individuals. I pay for my son to be able to hunt. I go to drink beer and cook. I want him to shoot whatever makes him happy. Fortunately for me I’m on a lease with a great group of guys that just are not very mad at the deer. If someone sees something they want to shoot, get after it. There’s a crap load more of them where that one came from.

This is my son’s first buck
                              This is his second one.

He was tickled to death with both of them and so was I. We’ll skin whatever he wants to bring back to camp. Life is too short (for me) to worry about a dang deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly, I've hunted quite a bit in my life, I will have chances to do my own thing after my boys are grown up. I want them to have a good time I don't need to shoot all the deer by myself.

Those are some nice bucks, congratulations to your son, that's good stuff man.

Comment

Working...
                              X