Going Primal in Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going Primal in Africa

Thursday the first I'll fly to Atlanta then to Johannesburg South Africa. I'll be hunting plains game with Sofala Safaris. I am going with a group of seven other people I have never met and only have exchanged a couple of phone calls and personal messages with the person that organized the hunt.

The package I purchased allows for 6 days of hunting and 7 nights of lodging. In the package are two animals, an Impala ram and wildebeest cow. But they have a list of other available game you can hunt "al-a-cart" for what are pretty reasonable prices.

This all started in the spring. I was on a waiting list for a lease hunt in Missouri for whitetail and had gotten the call. I paid my deposit and was feeling pretty good about things because the area is thick with deer and every year some good ones come off the place.
    When I saw the post for four hunters needed to fill the hunt on a traditional forum I immediately responded then contacted the outfitter. Told him I wanted a spot BUT . . . I was going to give my wife the respect of discussing it with her before committing.

Just for the record she was all for it!!!

So I tried to contact the guy who was setting it up and no response. Turns out I texted his shop landline. [emoji23]
    But the outfitter emailed me and said I was in so mail the dang deposit so I did and months of preparation and anxiety began.

Months of seeking the experience of guys like Bisch and Tim. Months of changing aiming systems and working more than every summer before in my business so I can afford as much "al-a-cart" as I can. Buying arrow shafts and components, trying out different fletching, searching for broadheads and practicing until fingers were sore and upper body fatigue shut me down in the evenings. Unfortunately that time kept me from my usual pig hunting outings so I haven't had much practice with shooting gap on fur but it works pretty decent on foam.

So now, my two Primal Tech bows and I will go see in person some of those animals I've only seen in zoos or on the Discovery channel. Hopefully creating some lifelong memories, short blood trails and large gut piles.

Specifically, in addition to my package animals, I will be looking to take a warthog or two, possibly a waterbuck or blesbuck. But really, if I get a good opportunity at a blesbok it would be good too. Hunts are mainly in blinds over water holes so not a lot different than at the ranch except you can stand to shoot from the blinds.

I'm anxious and excited and nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

If you're interested in the outfitter here is the website.

Probably more I should have explained and what I did is probably confusing but the late hour and lack of sleep is what I blame. Has nothing to do with the crazy.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DRT; 08-28-2022, 12:18 AM.

Good luck Gary. keep us updated.

Comment

Sounds like a trip of a lifetime! Looking forward to hearing the details when you return.
      Safe travels!

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJack1975 View Post
        Sounds like a trip of a lifetime! Looking forward to hearing the details when you return.
        Safe travels!

I was about to say the same thing….sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I’m not sure if this is your first time traveling internationally or not, but here’s a suggestion: take a small handful (say, 30 to 50) of a Texas novelty item to use as a small “regalo” to give those you meet a small remembrance of you or to give as a gesture of thanks to those who perform a small service for you. People from other countries recognize our state more than any others in the U.S. and still tend to romanticize it; they seem to really enjoy receiving a small representation of Texas.

When we travel we take along things like ball caps, church keys, hat pins, etc. All in the shape of the state, all painted, imprinted, or embroidered with the state flag.

Note: I’d check with your outfitter before doing this to make sure it is in keeping with the local customs or that it won’t be seen as a political “faux pas.”

Comment

Good Luck & Be Safe!

Comment

Good luck Gary!!!!

Load the truck full of critters!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
              Good luck Gary!!!!

Load the truck full of critters!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              That's the plan man! Stick em and stack em.

Comment

This is awesome. Hoping to go after I retire. What type of distances are you comfortable with? I'd like to take a longbow and compound. But not sure I'd be comfortable beyond 15-20

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                  This is awesome. Hoping to go after I retire. What type of distances are you comfortable with? I'd like to take a longbow and compound. But not sure I'd be comfortable beyond 15-20
                  I'm very comfortable out to 25 yards. That said some of those African critters are more skittish than a Hill Country doe. The videos of the Impala ducking are wild.
                  That said the bigger critters don't move quite as fast. The great thing is they said the water holes are only 12 yards on average with some at 10 yards and the furthest 15 yards. That's right in my comfort zone and what my set ups here reflect.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                    The great thing is they said the water holes are only 12 yards on average with some at 10 yards and the furthest 15 yards. That's right in my comfort zone and what my set ups here reflect.
                    That's good info. Do you know what kind of Internet service you might have so that you can provide updates?

Team Little Debbie Pro Staff

Comment

Sounds awesome. Best of luck!

Comment

I just got back from the dark continent a couple weeks ago, and can’t wait to go back. Everyone thinks that hunting africa is a once in a lifetime deal, trust me that’s not the case. You will go back, so don’t sweat the money. Shoot what your budget allows and save for the next trip. Just about everyone packs too many clothes on the first trip. Typically all outfitters do laundry everyday, so you won’t need but a couple of sets of hunting clothes. My advice is to keep a journal everyday, you will be amazed how it will take you back reading it years later. The Africa saying is,, The only man I Envy, is the man going on his first hunt to Africa! Good luck and aim small!!

Comment

I have a composition notebook packed for that. My budget isn't the issue. Just don't have the space for a bunch of stuffed heads on the wall. There are some other hunts I'd like to do before I get too old including a couple here that are so stupidly priced anymore that Africa seems like a steal.
                          Outfitter said the same thing about clothes but it's every two to three days on the laundry. I have had to repack 3 times since July just because the forecast is warmer and warmer all the time. Guess I'll get there just in time for the black mambas to get active.:0

Comment

Have a great trip Gary - post lots of pics!

Comment

Just know you will probably be planning that next trip on the flight home! We went last summer and had a blast, planning on goin back in ‘25. I would be opportunitistic, have a list of animals you really want to harvest, but with a bow be ready to take what the hunt brings your way. Between my son and I we shot 8 animals, and only half of those were on our list. Good luck and shoot straight!

Comment

Working...
                              X