Smokey Mountains trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokey Mountains trip

Last year we moved our daughter to Tennessee, then we went and drove around Tennessee, then rented a cabin right outside the Smokey Mountains National Park. It was a great trip. So this year we went back to Tennessee and the Smokey Mountains. The weather was great, most every day, the temps through out the day, were in the lower to mid 70s, in the Smokey Mountains, North Carolina, and around Gatlinburg.

We went through Louisiana, Mississippi, then Alabama, Georgia, then Tennessee, then North Carolina, then back to Tennessee. Then back that same route, back to Texas, when we came home.

Alabama, and Georgia are beautiful, but North Carolina and Tennessee, are scenic. The roads in Alabama and Georgia were crappy, Mississippi and Louisiana were not much better. The roads in North Carolina were very nice, most of the roads we drove in Tennessee were also very nice. The trip there through Alabama, on the main highways and then back on the main highways. Those roads were crappy. But we took some back roads a long ways on the way home through Alabama, those were some nice roads. My wife really liked those areas we drove through on those back roads in Alabama, she started sounding like she was ready to start looking for some property there. I was liking Tennessee and North Carolina a bit more, liking their weather more. Alabama weather was close, but not as nice as the weather in south east Tennessee and north west North Carolina.

We went through a Cherokee reservation in North Carolina, then into the Smokey Mountains National Park. If we go back, we are definitely going to get North Carolina fishing licenses. We saw places there we really wanted to fish, but only had Tennessee fishing licenses.

Our fishing did not go so well. We drove through the park, and around Gatlinburg for a few days, then the night before we decided to go fishing it rained hard. Then the next day, we went fishing. The streams were all murky with silt from the runoff. So we did not do very well. My wife caught the only trout, she caught a rainbow trout. Then I caught some small little fish, that looked like a large minnow with a red tail. Don't have any idea what it was. That was all we caught. We tried fishing a few different spots, but everywhere we went the water was murky. We realized we waited too long in the trip to go fishing. There is a place right outside of Gatlinburg, called Greenbrier trail. That looked like it would be a great place to fish, it is in the park. But they had it closed down, we were told because of heavy rains before we got there, there had been some flooding. Greenbrier looked like a great place to fish, but we did not get to try it.

Shortly after first getting into the Smokey Mountains NP, there was a sigh for elk crossing. I thought yeah sure, whatever, ha ha. Then about 1/2 mile later, there was a pasture/meadow, with large tan things in it. Those tan things turned out to be elk cows. We saw five if I remember correctly, no bulls, no calves. On the way out of the park, when we were leaving, in the same general area. We saw, seven cows and four calves, still no bulls. I have heard in recent years, that Pennsylvania, Kentucky, and I think Missouri have all, reintroduced elk in those states, but not heard anything about elk in North Carolina, or the Smokey Mountains. We saw elk twice in the same area, on the North Carolina side of the Smokey Mountains NP.

On our trip going to our cabin, we went through the Smokey Mountains NP, we entered in from the North Carolina/southern side. Then went north to Tennessee. We stopped a an overlook, in the North Carolina side of the park, from there you could see Clingman's Dome, which is the highest mountain in the Smokey Mountains, and Tennessee. We then got back on the road heading to Gatlingburg, and saw a road to Clingman's Dome, so we took that road, then climbed to the top of Clingman's Dome. It's only a half mile hike supposedly, from the parking lot to the top, but it gets pretty steep, gives your legs a good workout. No zig zagging trail, it goes straight up to the top. That trail crosses the Appalachian Trail, on the way to the top. We actually crossed the Appalachian Trail twice, there was another trail, we hiked a couple days later, that also crossed the Appalachian Trail. That has to be one serious trail, it's not for me. Seeing the line, where the Appalachian Trail goes, just through the Smokey Mountains, very quickly tells me, NOPE!, not hiking that trail.

The day we were leaving to come home, we were trying to find a stream that would be clear, and then do some fishing before we left. But every stream we looked at was still murky. Then I saw a sign for the Alum Cave trail. So we decided to go hike that trail, as our last thing to do before we left the Smokey Mountains. The trail is supposed to be 2.3 miles, but all I got to say, is they did not use the same measurement system, that was used in other areas we have hiked in the past. That 2.3 mile trail, sure seemed more like about 3.7 miles. From what some people we talked to told us, I would bet the trail is longer than 2.3 miles. That was a pretty good hike, very nice scenery, it was worth the hike. I started raining lightly, while we were hiking up the trail and then back down the trail. Then after leaving there, we stopped on another mountain top overlook, about 15 minutes later. While taking pictures there, it started pouring hard.

These pictures are from the first day, when we went through the park on our way to the cabin.
    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 08-13-2022, 08:55 PM.

Beautiful area! On my bucket list.

Comment

Great write up and beautiful country. I had no idea they had elk there. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

These are also from the NP, but these were taken on a small loop that is on the edge of Gatlinburg, that goes through the park. There are some old houses, and a small mill along this road. It's a nice little drive, there are two water falls that you can hike to, but we did not have time, we were just killing time, waiting on our daughter to drive down from Nashville. Had we known what was in along that loop or road, we would have liked to have spent 3 or 4 more hours in that area.

Comment

When our daughter and her boy friend came down from Nashville, we rented a RZR and took a trip into the NP. These are from that trip.

Comment

Great writeup. Most of the park’s elk population hangs out in Cataloochee. Visit at dawn or dusk to catch them at their most active. Target early summer to see calves and September to October for the rut (mating season) when bulls gather cows into large herds. Cataloochee isn't the easiest to access, but its well worth the trip. We've also had good luck seeing elk on the Blue ridge parkway just above Maggie Valley. There are some small restaurants in Maggie Valley that serve some great rainbow trout.

Comment

I was raised in NC... You've got a good camera eye sir. Boone is an excellent area too.

Comment

Any of yall happen to know of good rv camp sites in/near the smokies.
                I have a reservation here
                Our Smoky Mountain campground at Greenbrier Campground offers RV & tent campsites, as well as cabin rentals. Located near Gatlinburg with swimming areas, free wifi, and more.

in April but I am always looking for good spots

Comment

This was our last trip through the park, when we stopped and hiked the Alum Cave trail. While we were on the trail it started raining lightly on us. We left the trail, hit the road, then made another stop on top of another mountain, at an overlook, shortly after getting there, about 15 minutes after leaving the trail, it started pouring down hard. Most of our trip out of the park it was raining to varying degrees. Then we saw the elk back in the same general area where they were when we came into the park. There were seven cows and three calves, that time.

Comment

Beautiful pictures

Comment

These were on our way out of the park.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                        Great writeup. Most of the park’s elk population hangs out in Cataloochee. Visit at dawn or dusk to catch them at their most active. Target early summer to see calves and September to October for the rut (mating season) when bulls gather cows into large herds. Cataloochee isn't the easiest to access, but its well worth the trip. We've also had good luck seeing elk on the Blue ridge parkway just above Maggie Valley. There are some small restaurants in Maggie Valley that serve some great rainbow trout.
                        I think we may have gone through those areas, not sure. We did not even know we were going to be going through North Carolina, but we wound up spending about three hours on our way there and then about three hours on our way out, in North Carolina. We will definitely go back. We did eat at a trout restaurant in Gatlinburg, the food was pretty good.

Comment

This is the cabin we stayed in. It's pretty nice, the one we stayed in last year, is owned by the same people. It is a lot newer, and right on a stream, so we just walked out the back door and went fishing in the stream behind the house. We caught about three trout each time we fished the that stream. That place was not available. This place is pretty nice, one bedroom upstairs, hot tub, pool table, and a pretty nice view. You could not see very much, because the trees are tall and dense. It's on top of a steep hill, the driveway is very steep, you can not see anything but sky when going up the driveway.

Comment

Then I found this in some small town in North Carolina. It was parked out front of an old full service gas station that's now a mechanic's shop. The guy quickly talked like he would sell it, but was not wanting to buy anything right now. Then this car is an automatic car, it is a 390, 64 Galaxie 500, not an XL. I love the 63 1/2 and 64 XLs. Would love to have a black one with a 4 spd and a 427 and dual 4 barrel carbs. But don't want to pay for one. I would be happy buying a 390 car and putting whatever engine I choose into it.

This car could have some interesting history, being a 64 390 Galaxie in North Carolina, it could have hauled a lot of shine back in it's early years. If it was a North Carolina 427 car, I would put money down that it was used to run shine.

Comment

Nice job on the pictures. Make me wish I was there now, love this part of the country

Comment

Working...
                              X