No announcement yet.

SHTF Info/books to have on hand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drank river water through a life straw water bottle on a 5 day canoe trip. Not sure how long the filters are supposed to last. Still have it. My first want would be hot coffee I'm guessing if this happened. Guess I would adapt.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
      For those that live in the city, you better get with someone NOW that has property that you could go to. Going to your favorite place in a state park or any kind of government land is gonna be a REALLY bad choice as that is where everyone who isn’t prepared is going to go. There is strength in numbers. One person or even a small family is gonna have a hard time trying to work a garden, fetch water, cook, clean, hunt, maintain your area, and keep an eye out 24/7 for those who want what you have.

An EMP, a massive hack on our infrastructure, or a major solar flare are the most likely scenarios right now that could kill the electricity for months if not years. Heck, on September 5th, the sun had the largest solar flare in decades which easily would have knocked our power out for years. Luckily for us, it was aimed away from earth. The same thing happened in 2012, but with a slightly weaker solar flare. We have been lucky, however it is only a matter of time when that luck runs out.
      Cities will eat themselves alive within the first week.
      The traffic jam would be insane, and with no one to call after the very first wreck it would just lock down.
      I wonder how many would really make it out of a place like Dallas...., and how far would they penetrate especially once they hit all the armed country folk.
      How many guns and how much ammo could they carry on foot, once they start walking out, and how much would you expend within the first 50 miles.
      The average city slicker couldn't do 50 miles in a week under those conditions, and would most likely die before they made it 50 miles.
      Be a bad, bad time, to be living in a city.
      Since you seem to be in the know.., what are the odds of one of these super flares capable of doing this actually hitting us?
      I mean with the earth constantly spinning, on top of spinning around the sun once daily, on top of how often one of these flares occur, is it like 10000 - 1, 1000000 - 10000000 - 1?

Comment

Kinda fun to think about. But in all reality, if it gonna be that bad, send me on up to my mansion on the streets of gold.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
          For those that live in the city, you better get with someone NOW that has property that you could go to. Going to your favorite place in a state park or any kind of government land is gonna be a REALLY bad choice as that is where everyone who isn’t prepared is going to go. There is strength in numbers. One person or even a small family is gonna have a hard time trying to work a garden, fetch water, cook, clean, hunt, maintain your area, and keep an eye out 24/7 for those who want what you have.

An EMP, a massive hack on our infrastructure, or a major solar flare are the most likely scenarios right now that could kill the electricity for months if not years. Heck, on September 5th, the sun had the largest solar flare in decades which easily would have knocked our power out for years. Luckily for us, it was aimed away from earth. The same thing happened in 2012, but with a slightly weaker solar flare. We have been lucky, however it is only a matter of time when that luck runs out.
          the book that Chew recommended is about a cast of characters and how they survived after EMPs were set off around the world. and they all lived around Floresville.

did you write it? if so that's awesome. if not that's an odd coincidence

Comment

OP,

Sorry if this high jacks this thread, but since you've posted. I've been curious if anyone knows of information on prepper shows.

Does anyone have info on a Preppers show, like a gun show, where you can see whatis available to be self-sufficient?

Comment

Anybody that lived through the Rita scramble in Houston will understand that the most important thing is having something motorized on 2 wheels so you can actually get out of dodge. Ya you won’t be able to carry much but think to yourself how quickly locals will block roads in the country. There is an extremely small window of time to get to wherever you need to go.

BRB telling my wife I’m buying a dirt bike to save our lives

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                About 3/4 through this one now. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Yes it is an eye opener to how little the average person is prepared. When you finish that one there are two more to follow up. Very few will be safe, not even from their neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                  Kinda fun to think about. But in all reality, if it gonna be that bad, send me on up to my mansion on the streets of gold.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                  I got a short list of a few mf that I'm taking out first, before I clock out

Comment

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
                    Anybody that lived through the Rita scramble in Houston will understand that the most important thing is having something motorized on 2 wheels so you can actually get out of dodge. Ya you won’t be able to carry much but think to yourself how quickly locals will block roads in the country. There is an extremely small window of time to get to wherever you need to go.

BRB telling my wife I’m buying a dirt bike to save our lives

This!!

I got stuck in that Rita mess because I deviated from my original plan. I have family around B/CS, and at one point the forecasts were taking it right up highway 6. Unfortunately, most of my family didn’t heed the warnings and were stuck with no supplies. I lived in McKinney at the time so I called in to work, went to a couple of stores, loaded my truck up with supplies, and headed opposite of traffic down south.

I made good time till I hit Ennius at 287. That is where the contra flow on I-45 ended. So I hit the backroads. Made pretty good time and hit VERY little traffic till I got to highway 14 and highway 6. Sat there for 10 minutes with my left turn signal on before someone finally let me through. Took 6 on in to B/CS. Southbound was wide open but northbound was a literal parking lot the entire way. Got to B/CS, dropped supplies off, helped to board up a big sliding glass door, and headed back.

My plan was to take OSR to 31, go north to 79, then in east Texas hit 69, take it up towards Greenville, then head back to McKinney. Was making GREAT time and saw a little more traffic than normal, but it wasn’t bad at all. Crossed under I45 in Buffalo on highway 79 and made my big mistake. Traffic on I45 was light, and all 4 lanes were going normal speed, so I turned on to I45. Within 5 miles, traffic came to a dead stop. About 6 hours later I got to I45 and I20.

Lessons learned:

1. Make a plan and stick to it.

2. The masses don’t know how to read a map. Side/back roads are your friend.

3. No one was doing anything to save fuel. Slow down! If you are at the top of a hill, kill the engine and coast down. You will loose power brakes pretty quickly but just push harder. People had their headlights on and A/C running while stopped which will use more gas.

4. Keep any supplies you have hidden. There were a LOT of vehicles on the side of the road that were out of gas and were asking people stuck in traffic for gas and food.

5. That jacked up 4X4 ain’t gonna help you. I saw one jacked up truck flying down the median making great time. A couple of hours later I saw him again with what looked like 2 flat tires. There is a LOT of road debris in the medians!

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                      Cities will eat themselves alive within the first week.
                      The traffic jam would be insane, and with no one to call after the very first wreck it would just lock down.
                      I wonder how many would really make it out of a place like Dallas...., and how far would they penetrate especially once they hit all the armed country folk.
                      How many guns and how much ammo could they carry on foot, once they start walking out, and how much would you expend within the first 50 miles.
                      The average city slicker couldn't do 50 miles in a week under those conditions, and would most likely die before they made it 50 miles.
                      Be a bad, bad time, to be living in a city.
                      Since you seem to be in the know.., what are the odds of one of these super flares capable of doing this actually hitting us?
                      I mean with the earth constantly spinning, on top of spinning around the sun once daily, on top of how often one of these flares occur, is it like 10000 - 1, 1000000 - 10000000 - 1?

I wish I knew what the odds were but I just don’t know.

Bicycles are a great backup form of transportation. When I was a LOT younger I rode in a 50 mile bicycle race. Finished the first 25 miles in an hour and a half. Took 2 and a half hours to finish the last 25 miles! I’m in horrible shape now but could easily do 15-20 miles in a day with plenty of rest stops.

Comment

Originally posted by dhall1414 View Post
                        the book that Chew recommended is about a cast of characters and how they survived after EMPs were set off around the world. and they all lived around Floresville.

did you write it? if so that's awesome. if not that's an odd coincidence
                        It is an odd coincidence! I did not write it, but now I REALLY want to read it!!

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                          OP,

Sorry if this high jacks this thread, but since you've posted. I've been curious if anyone knows of information on prepper shows.

Does anyone have info on a Preppers show, like a gun show, where you can see whatis available to be self-sufficient?

Be cautious with any prepper shows on TV. Most of them crank up the drama and theater to make the ratings better. A LARGE majority of prepper items are also what is commonly used with homesteaders. Things like canning, freeze driers, hand utensils and tools, gardening, and such as that. Also, be cautious with doomsday preppers. They are the ones who are convinced the world is going to end tomorrow, so they have a different mindset and path of prepping. I’m a prepper who is prepared for the power to go out because it happens pretty frequently with big storms. My preparedness has made big events like the snowpocolypse more of a minor inconvenience. So, I want to help as many people as I can to be prepared as well. That is my calling in life.

Comment

Read Alas Babylon from 1959. Excellent fiction.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Natural Contraception During Post-Apocalyptic Future
                              "A course study on getting busy without staying busy long-term"

Comment

Guide book for Marines. JK.

Seriously,
                                US Air Force Survival Handbook 2008
                                AF- REGULATION 64-4
                                Supercedes AFM64-3

The AF manual aint a handbook. It more like a chest plate altermative.

Semper Gumby.
                                Last edited by Briar Friar; 09-20-2022, 10:30 PM. Reason: ChestySpake

Comment

Working...
                                X