Moving a House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving a House

Anyone ever done it? Hired out or otherwise? Can a house be sectioned out and moved or partially deconstructed and moved?

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
    Anyone ever done it? Hired out or otherwise? Can a house be sectioned out and moved or partially deconstructed and moved?
    Yep. Gave my grandparents old house to an employee and her husband. They cut that sucker in thirds and hauled it about 20 miles and put it back together.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
      Yep. Gave my grandparents old house to an employee and her husband. They cut that sucker in thirds and hauled it about 20 miles and put it back together.
      Dang! They did it themselves or hired? Any lessons or advice doing it that way?

Comment

Folks do it all the time in Round Top area!!

Comment

Cherry house moving does it and has an entire street of homes for sale

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have had 4 houses moved. I would say its best left to professionals. Its heavy dangerous work to move one and haul it down a public roadway.

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
              Dang! They did it themselves or hired? Any lessons or advice doing it that way?
              They hired it done. Not sure who they used.

Comment

i had a farm house that was built in 1880 moved last year they did it all in one piece but moved it across the pasture didn’t get on the road it is 35x 60 two story
                it held together good but no sheetrock all tongue and groove cypress wood inside. put together with hand made square nails

Comment

My dad and I have had a few moved, get a professional for sure
                  All kinds of stuff to think about and research, like any types of phone lines or power lines , tree limbs on the route , and those guys are experts at placement

Only one I personally done was a 44x12 oil field bunk house and I had to file a txdot permit
                  Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 09-19-2022, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Hell, where I come from you just put the wheels back on it and go.

Comment

It's done every day. The house I'm living in right now was built by my granddad, dad, and uncles in 1931 uptown. We bought it from one of my uncles who inherited it after my grandparents passed away. Brought it 8 miles out in the country where it sits today. The wife, kids, and I along with several good friends completely remodeled it with a minor footprint change. It's my forever home now. We're living in Grandaddy's house. Have had several family reunions and all the cousins are always with what we did with it.
                      We did hire a professional to do the moving and have a book of pictures from the first prep work before moving to us living here.
                      The moving size was 68' X 38' after we took the front and back porches off.

Comment

Hired it done before. Get a nicer house cheap to free. Move it, put back together, reconnect everything and you will be at about same price as just building it. Lol. If not moving too far you will save some money. But if they got to take it apart the structure ain’t the expense it’s plumbing, electrical, siding, flooring, interior and exterior paint and roofing done at remodel pricing vs new

Comment

I gave one away that was on my land when I first got it. House moving companies do it all the time.

Comment

We just got a quote to move my grandparents old house. I'd say 13-14 miles. Estimate was $25,000. Not real big, but would have to be cut down the middle.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

I have my eyes on a few turn of the Century craftsman houses I just really want to save. Thinking of adding one to my current homestead or maybe moving one out to the farm for git-to-geders.

I think this can be done because I beleive to achieve (and all you guys already did it) lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X