No announcement yet.

Don’t need an expensive EDC knife - prove me wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember when china first started flooding the U.S. market with all those Frost knives. HSN would run those 100 knives for $99 deals. The market never was the same after that.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
      I recently received a William Henry limited edition folding knife as a gift and it is definitely what I would consider a piece of jewelry.
      I have a bunch of different knifes that I carry depending on what I am doing but I usually at least have a Gerber multi-tool on me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      I carry a William Henry as well and it is definitely a piece of jewelry. I received mine as a gift from my buddies and love it. Prior to this I carried a $5 gas station knife that I found.

Comment

I've got a fairly extensive collection of Eye brand knives that my grandfather started back in the 60's or 70's. My dad added several and I've added several over the years. I don't consider them "high-end" but they are pretty good knives. I carry one of the 99Y's from that collection.

Comment

Originally posted by Double C View Post
          Haha I’m defending my wallet. But genuinely wondering if there is something I’m missing here other than it’s an enjoyable nice thing.

Gotcha. If I had a really expensive knife I wouldn’t want to use it.

Comment

I daily my Spyderco Para 3, it’s a great all around carry and a little on the bougie side. I’ll put it to some decent work, but for heavier stuff like lease work I’ve got a Rough Rider large work knife that I don’t hesitate to put through the ringer. At 15ish bucks, you can’t beat em’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My daily benchmade bugout has custom flytanium scales and cool (to me) titanium screws that I added. I recently treated it to a laser sharpening session.

I have a drawer full of assorted EDCs including several different configurations of the bugout. It’s a fun thing to collect and is a heck of a lot cheaper than boots, pistols, rifles, bows etc.

Have I lost one? Yes but it came back to me after a few months (left it on a job site). I also lost a custom fixed blade knife my buddy TC made me in Mexico and a TBH’r found it and mailed it to me (I’d give him credit but I forgot his name).

All of them open cardboard boxes like a champ but that’s not why I collect.

Yes, it’s relative.

Oh yeah, Watching YouTube knife reviews is one of my favorite pastimes. I like new designs.

Comment

Leatherman. Got a bunch. One in my truck, one in my toolbox, one on my loading bench and one in my night stand.

Comment

carry what you want, why worry about what someone else does?

Comment

It's a fashion statement like women with their expensive purses, just to impress others. I buy my wife those type purses to keep her happy but I don't give a rat's butt what anyone thinks about the knifes I use. I always have a very sharp knife with me that doesn't cost more than $50, most way under that. Like my Taurus 709 Slim on my hip. It will do the job when needed while others carry much more expensive guns.

Comment

I have several different brands of knifes . Case ,Kershaw,Buck, Benchmade, and a few others that I don't remember the name of. They all do the same thing. The only difference is how often you need to sharpen them.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                        I totally get what you are saying, and the only Benchmade I’ve ever owned, which is my current EDC, I found in a Duluth Training Co parking lot! I guess you are right if you like ragged cuts, or jerking a blade through material. There is something to be said about high quality knife steel. I’ve had 3 knives with SV30 knife steel and it is a dream to keep and maintain a sharp edge.
                        Cheaper steels like AUSx or CrMoV*** are ok, and can get fairly sharp, but it takes work to get them there and often. My higher end blades take a few swipes on my spiderco sharpening V and I can shave my arm with them again
                        I cannot use junk Chinese (8cr13mov ) anymore, S30v,vg10, S35v ,20cv Is worth the extra $30 for me to have a low maintenance knife
                        It’s all about function , not fashion
                        a CRK sabinza @$600 doesn’t do anything for me
                        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 08-29-2022, 09:51 AM.

Comment

I agree. I always have a good knife on me or close by. But I can see how some get out of hand.

You want a good laugh or head scratcher, watch some videos on YouTube about EDC. Some of these guys have more ”stuff” of them then I could ever need in a regular day. It’s wild with all the copper lights, knives pens pry bars fire starters lol. Idk just me I don’t like carrying all that

Comment

Originally posted by creekbottom02 View Post
                            I agree. I always have a good knife on me or close by. But I can see how some get out of hand.

You want a good laugh or head scratcher, watch some videos on YouTube about EDC. Some of these guys have more ”stuff” of them then I could ever need in a regular day. It’s wild with all the copper lights, knives pens pry bars fire starters lol. Idk just me I don’t like carrying all that
                            Yeah some those guys need both a belt and suspenders
                            Less is more for me

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                              Guess I’m in the middle here. Been carrying a tool steel, assisted opening KOA for 6/7 years…… far from inexpensive but not too expensive. Use it for everything including work, takes a beating but that’s what it was made for.
                              Otherwise it would be like a mechanic using Harbor Freight junk and leaving his Snap-On in the box so it doesn’t get broke
                              [emoji2957]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Those are my thoughts as well. I can't imagine not using a tool because it cost too much.

Comment

When I lose one or need a new one I just go out in my shop and make me one or a few
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X