No announcement yet.

Employer Truck Allowance/Mortgage Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auto allowances are taxable, just make sure you save enough receipts each year to offset them.

Comment

If it's a FAVR program that's being run properly, it should be tax free to the employee from what i understand, according to the admin for our company's FAVR program. It sounds identical but the company has to be following the correct guidelines

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
        Negative ghost rider. Mine is dam sure taxed every month!!!
        They typically don't tax it, but some companies do. When I worked for those that taxed it I was able to write off my milage on my taxes since once it is taxed it really isn't a vehicle allowance anymore and is really just added salary.

Comment

My truck allowance is taxed. It just becomes part of the salary. I don't even look at it as a truck allowance.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
            They typically don't tax it, but some companies do. When I worked for those that taxed it I was able to write off my milage on my taxes since once it is taxed it really isn't a vehicle allowance anymore and is really just added salary.
            I think the reason it is taxed, is because they are also paying mileage for it, which is not taxable

I have not seen anyone that is giving tax free vehicle allowances, unless the vehicle allowance is a "flat rate" for monthly mileage

EDIT: On your original question, if his mortgage company is halfway intelligent, then a letter of explanation should cover this with no more questions asked. I went through something similar in April of this year with business expenses that I pay for with a personal CC - A letter of explanation and showing them that I get reimbursed for these costs was all it took.

Best of luck to your boy on his house hunt, I know how stressful it can be!
            Last edited by JTRichardson; 08-02-2022, 03:14 PM. Reason: Forgot to answer original question

Comment

Run it by Trey Powers. He advertises here for mortgages. Several of us have used him for re-fi's, or even just questions.

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
                Truck allowance is non-taxable.
                Somebody owes me back taxes for 23 years

Comment

It WILL cause a debt/income ratio issue. Per Fannie Mae guidelines, to be used as acceptable stable income, it must be received for 2 years.

Love,
                  Trey Powers
                  Your TBH Mortgage Lender

Comment

Originally posted by Huntsman27 View Post
                    I believe the taxability of a car allowance is dependent on the amount of business miles the vehicle in question is driven. It is my understanding that the IRS allows .62 per mile and if the number of business miles the vehicle is driven times .62 is greater than or equal to the amount of the allowance it is not taxable. If the number of business miles times .62 is less than the amount of the allowance then the difference is taxable.

This is the way it was explained to me when the company gave us a choice on a company vehicle or an allowance.

I would contact a tax expert on this issue to be sure. Additionally, I would think if the allowance covers the cost of the vehicle it shouldn't change debt ratio etc... He would have a new inquiry on his credit report which can sometimes have a negative effect on his credit score.
                    I believe this is what I did years ago when I received a truck allowance years ago. To put it simply, the money is taxable, but you can deduct your "business"miles times whatever the government rate is.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntsman27 View Post
                      I believe the taxability of a car allowance is dependent on the amount of business miles the vehicle in question is driven. It is my understanding that the IRS allows .62 per mile and if the number of business miles the vehicle is driven times .62 is greater than or equal to the amount of the allowance it is not taxable. If the number of business miles times .62 is less than the amount of the allowance then the difference is taxable.

This is the way it was explained to me when the company gave us a choice on a company vehicle or an allowance.
                      This is basically the way my company did my vehicle allowance. The "allowance" itself was taxable but mileage reimbursement wasn't. I had to submit a mileage affidavit at the end of every year stating company driven miles for IRS purposes.
                      My regs were I had to drive a 5 year or newer vehicle with a $28k net worth when purchased new. That wag they know you are toting around clients in a decently represented vehicle versus an old 1966 Ford Pinto. 😅

Comment

Being that he works for the company I would just explain the upcoming home purchase and ask to delay the purchase until after closing on the house. Any reasonable manager would understand.

Comment

Since the responses are all over the place, if I was him I would seek a CPA's advice. Obviously too many variables to get a solid answer here.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
                            Since the responses are all over the place, if I was him I would seek a CPA's advice. Obviously too many variables to get a solid answer here.
                            Agree 100% on the taxability of the allowance. Ask CPA. But not on the mortgage issue. Rely on a mortgage professional for that. Hey, that's me. See 4 posts up.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

My allowance isn’t taxed, if it was definitely not worth it.

Comment

“”They do provide an allowance of $1000/month for the vehicle/insurance””
                                Since it will be used for commercial purposes I bet his insurance will probably spike?
                                Truck note + insurance spike

Comment

Working...
                                X