Red Deer Meat hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Deer Meat hunt

I have usually looked in Tx for Hog & Exotic bowhunts since we tried it for the 1st time in 2000. I've gone with various family members like 10 or so times since & it's always been a "warmer" get away for us & just plain fun.. Never really "just" looking for horns but something to help fill the freezer. Well, son & I wanted & have been looking for a Meat Red Deer Hind (Cow) hunt & I ran across one in Wisconsin around 5 hours from us. I think they said over 1000 acres but not sure. Anyway, they had ONE Hind so we booked for the 1st of Dec. when our gun season is on (we only bowhunt). He's going to be the shooter & Dad is going to try & get everything on video. I'm getting pretty darn old so it'll probably be one of the last adventures out of state for me. Regardless, it will be fun, just not warm like we usually have down Tx. way.. Price was right so we booked. I'll post back how we do after. He's not that little boy anymore.. Enjoy your time fellas, it passes fast.
    Attached Files

Have fun and stay safe!

Comment

Very cool. You will love the meat.

Comment

Unless that Red deer cow is tame, I would think your chances would be very slim on 1000 acres going after the only Red deer cow on the place. Maybe you meant they only have one hunt available for red deer and not that they only have 1 red deer cow.

Anyway, good luck on your hunt and enjoy your time with your son.

Comment

It's a Red Deer, Elk Ranch. Yes, they only have 1 Cow hunt available but more animals. I took a Red Deer a few years back & that is why we wanted another hunt for the meat (Delicious)

Comment

Looks like fun. Enjoy time with your family

Comment

Father/Son goals. I hope y'all have a blast.

Comment

Sounds like a lot of fun and great memories in e making. Best of luck n the hunt in for the pics...

Comment

Where are you located in Iowa?

Comment

Red Deer meat is very good!!

Comment

good stuff right there!!

Comment

arrowsmith-edge of Clinton, Ia. N.E.. Well, we made it back & was very impressed with the place. Awesome "real" Log Cabin & great people. The area we hunted was 1 mile across the top with 3/4 mile sides 7 1/2 mile at the bottom. Kinda pie shaped & other than the firelanes cut, very thick Pines & brush,. We were told there was ONE Red Deer hind in the area, 6 Whitetail Does & one Whitetail Buck. We started at daybreak (7 am) & it was around 40 degrees & had rained all night. Stopped b/4 daylight so was great for stalking. We planned on stalking around & see the lay of the property & hoped to locate the Hind.. almost 4 hours into the hunt I had to go back to the lodge (bad knee) & get water we had forgotten. I took about an hour break & then went back to the hunting area. I texted my son I was going to be in a blind we had been by early that morning as I had no idea where he was then. Nearing 2pm my cell starts buzzin & he's all hiped up. Dad, I found her & after abpout a 40 min stalk I got a shot at 35 yds... She is DOWN in thick brush but I can't tell if she's dead. He's so excited I can barely understand him. She went about 40 yds he says. He tells me where to find him & I head out. 30 min later we hook up & he eases up to her. DEAD. Yes, it was an awesome celebration & a real nice Cow.. When we started that morning, the owner said he had a rifle we could use as he honestly did not think we would get it done.. Yes, after seeing the place, we did have some luck.. When we are back & one of the staff hel[ing skin her says, I work here & I bowhunted 6 days for a Cow in that area & never had a shot. You did good..

Comment

pic recap
                          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Congrats!!

Comment

Working...
                              X