Fire pit ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire pit ideas

I might be able to get my hands on an old propane tank and I need a new fire pit for the back yard. I was thinking about using the end caps for a fire ring. Anyone got any pics or ideas (good or bad) on how I should build it. What y’all got

Originally posted by creekbottom02 View Post
    I might be able to get my hands on an old propane tank and I need a new fire pit for the back yard. I was thinking about using the end caps for a fire ring. Anyone got any pics or ideas (good or bad) on how I should build it. What y’all got
    Before my dad passed away, he built dozens of these. I made a few as well for gifts. He used a disc for the base, small piece of pipe or square tubing for the stem and usually horseshoes for the sides. I'll post some pics soon!

Comment

I built this one for my wife when we were dating 12 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I built a bunch of them out of 18 wheeler rims. Still have several, gifted some to family. I made them short so they'd be easy to tip over and dump the ash out of, and put chain and pipe handles on them.

Comment

I have 3. Built 2 but all three have wheels of some form. The two large ones are 60" across. Footrests if building it lower to the ground is a must. Using the edge of the pit will melt footwear with the quickness.

The large ones have sch 80 3'' pipe for wheels and solid round bar for an axle. Drain holes in the bottom are huge help as well

Comment

From the end cap of a 250 gallon tank. 30" in diameter. The grate is removable. One of these days I'ma gonna build a octi-ring that the grate will sit in. That way there will be a shelf around the pit to rest food or whatever on. Legs are from some 4x4 16ga I had left over. The underside gets pretty hot. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180723_193420.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	24701212Click image for larger version

Name:	20171103_191624.jpg
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	24701213

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
            Last edited by Texas Grown; 12-20-2022, 05:41 PM.

Comment

If you are going to stay at the house, consider doing a concrete/stone pit. I poured one at the lake, lined with fire brick, and did stone on the outside and welded a grate for cooking. Granted, I have a steel pit at the ranch, but where more people will see it (and critique—you know who you are), consider concrete.

Comment

My wife’s pet project up at the farm. We joke that it can double as a bunker when the sheet hits the fan. It will be lined inside with fire bricks and stones on the outside. We got some good advice already from you jokers regarding the chimney - going to be an old school looking riveted pipe.

Estimated time of completion…winter 2026! Lol. Go big it go home!

Click image for larger version

Name:	84FE80DF-C9F4-4A2B-8836-29F4CE6379A3.jpeg
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	24701214

Name:	A0367504-0256-4EAE-BF40-791E52CC65B3.jpeg
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	24701215

Comment

BIG John Deere Rim

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9159.JPG
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	24701664[/ATTACH]
                  I used an old BIG john Deere rim, t-post and old horse shoes.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I built this firepit entertainment relaxation area last summer. Cushion storage and firewood storage. Looking forward to landscaping this spring.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                      My wife’s pet project up at the farm. We joke that it can double as a bunker when the sheet hits the fan. It will be lined inside with fire bricks and stones on the outside. We got some good advice already from you jokers regarding the chimney - going to be an old school looking riveted pipe.

[ATTACH]1113407[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1113408[/ATTACH]
                      You have you a keeper there, rubber boots and a shovel when needed to work. Now you have control and trained her right. I have to admit, I have faile in the trading of my better half.

Comment

great ideas guys

Comment

Put two ends of the propane tank together and cut out a design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The best fire pit I've built is from a porcelain washing machine tub/drum. Added legs and expanded metal to the inside (floor). It's very lightweight and portable, and puts out an amazing flame. The air draws from the sides and the floor, and the upward direction of the flame draw sends the smoke upwards. Never have to move around to escape smoke. You'll find many chairs circled around it widening the perimeter because it gets so hot. The tub itself will get red and additionally assist with heat radiation. Here's a pic from the other night. If any of yall want some daylight pics of it empty, quote my comment or DM. An Instagram video link is below the pics to see it in action.

23 likes, 0 comments - Rocky Carrell (@arrow_it_archery) on Instagram

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by BowPro73; 01-26-2023, 12:28 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Anvilheadtexas;16567506]My wife’s pet project up at the farm. We joke that it can double as a bunker when the sheet hits the fan. It will be lined inside with fire bricks and stones on the outside. We got some good advice already from you jokers regarding the chimney - going to be an old school looking riveted pipe.

Name:	84FE80DF-C9F4-4A2B-8836-29F4CE6379A3.jpeg
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	24701214

That’s gonna be a bigun

Comment

Working...
                              X