Soft Release Pen Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soft Release Pen Question

I was wondering if a soft release pen is really necessary or not for releasing bred doe onto a property. I’ve read that a soft release pen helps ensure a higher success rate and helps prevent deaths but I wasn’t sure if it was possible to release them onto a 400 acre property that has plenty of feed and water or if anyone has had any kind of success just releasing bred doe without a soft release pen. Also, will bred doe jump into feeder pens? We keep feeder pens around our feeders to keep cattle out of and I wasn’t sure if they would be deterred by that or not. At this time we don’t want to add anything, we just want to get more information as to what’s needed if we were to do this in the future (i.e. soft release pen, water, feed, etc.).

I think our native deer herd will eventually get to where we want it (160-170) after another 5 more years of supplemental feeding as that will be year number 12 for supplemental feeding and 5yrs for supplemental feeding behind a high fence.

Just looking for yalls feedback and see what you guys do. Thanks!

Nobody?

Comment

I don't have answers but I have a friend who might I'll pm his contact info

Comment

I would highly recommend a soft release. Deer-pen deer don’t know anything about open pasture or how to jump into a pen to get food. They will walk around your property fence line for a long time. The most important thing is they will abort the babies if they get stressed or are not given the same amount of food. Shoot me a Pm if you want to discuss more. I have been doing deer breeding, bottle raising, and ranch management in different ranches for 12+ years!

Comment

Wild bred TTT will be fine. On pen deer. All the research and information I’ve gathered recommends younger does if breeder, and placement of water and feed along the perimeter in the beginning until acclimated. Soft release pen would be better but 400 acres isn’t to large imo to not have success with just releasing. I Will be releasing bred pen does on a 200 acre high pasture of the ranch I manage this spring. My biggest concern is predators. In for more information but hoping to kick start my program while the remain high fence is going up the next couple years.

Comment

I’ve heard of doing TTT but isn’t that a crap shoot? You don’t know what kind of genetics you are getting if the TPWD helps do a TTT. At least, that’s what I was told.

Comment

Soft release will greatly improve your survivability and the likelihood of that doe raising her offspring. I have released well in excess of 150 does/bucks via soft release and hard releases. The medium term survival rate (1 yr plus) is 100% greater using soft release as opposed to a hard kick out.

As others have said, pen raised deer, specifically those that have spent more than 1 yr in a pen are not well adapted for release.

My recommendation is rather than buying bred does, buy buck fawns (doe fawns too if you like) and just soft release them at 9 months old. Adult deer that were raised in pens and subsequently released just don't seem to survive very well.

Comment

Soft release pen is a good thing in my opinion. Yes it is more expensive and more of a headache but it does increase you survival rate IMO.

Comment

If you do a soft release inside a pen, when is the right time to let the doe and her fawns out into the main part of the ranch?

Comment

That's a good question. I would think that would depend on when the doe gives birth to the fawn. I would think that once the fawn is big enough and not depending 100% on momma that it would be a good time but I'm sure others on here can give a better answer as we don't have any experience with this.

Comment

Originally posted by barnag View Post
                      If you do a soft release inside a pen, when is the right time to let the doe and her fawns out into the main part of the ranch?
                      I always like to release mine as close to the end of March as possible. Brush and weeds are popping, temps are warming nicely and cover is flush.

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post
                        I always like to release mine as close to the end of March as possible. Brush and weeds are popping, temps are warming nicely and cover is flush.
                        So you leave doe and fawn in the soft pen for almost a year?

Comment

It depends a lot on what permits you have (DMP vs Breeder). I do all my work as a breeder, so it gives me the greatest amount of flexibility.

Comment

If you release pen deer into your pasture your coyotes will thank you

Comment

Working...
                            X