The Multi Herd Experiment...Pic Heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Multi Herd Experiment...Pic Heavy

8 years ago we started a project in Central Medina county. We purchased a property and decided that we wanted to see what kind of deer herd we could produce closer to home.

Our first survey on the initial purchase revealed a herd that had been heavily over hunted. We saw 17 deer on 1700 acres.

As a result, we obtained a TTT permit from TPW and moved 35 bucks and 5 does from the place in Encinal, and also purchased 5 yearling bucks from a reputable breeder of pure Texas deer over 3 years to soft release. (the last year of deer almost all died and would be 5 this year)

Several years later we started the same process on 500 acres immediately to the south of this first place with does from two South Texas ranches... one in Frio county, and the other in Dimmit.

We have since put in an influx of TTT does back into the northern piece several years ago.

The herd is still predominantly young, but now starting to show some good things. All along we have had to have a heavy hand in the trimming of this herd trying to take the inferior stuff out. As you will see we still have a lot to do, but overall I am pleased with the results. You can see the traits of all 5 different herds of deer in the herd. It will be interesting to see where the eventual median line evens out.

This first set of pictures is on the southern place. Green tagged bucks are soft released yearlings... 4 years old. blue tags are TTT young bucks from one of the ranches...

LOTS of Yearlings!!!

The next set of pictures is from the north... the deer herd is a little older... this place's fawn crop average is absolutely amazing... it has ranged from 70-120% in the last 8 years... The red tag is 8 and the blue tag is 7... as far as I know they are the only tagged bucks left on this part.

Dude I dont like you. Nice looking deer

Comment

you for sure have a nice flock of WT's!

Comment

Wow. Whatever you're doing, it seems to be working very nicely.

Comment

Wow. Love looking at your pix. Pretty impressive in just 8 years. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Dude, is that beaver under your feeder that would have to be a first for me as I thought we didn have any in South Texas.

Comment

Porcupine

Comment

Wow Great looking herd

Comment

can i borrow some money-to hunt on your place...

Comment

That is really cool. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Nice! So what exactly have you learned from doing all this? Or was this a learning experiment?

And lastly, do you shoot spikes?

Comment

OMG i'll be there in a minute

Comment

I would say its working.

Comment

Originally posted by Hafernick View Post
                              Nice! So what exactly have you learned from doing all this? Or was this a learning experiment?

And lastly, do you shoot spikes?
                              Here I'm harder on young deer... But a buck is more likely to get whacked for a medina county looking shape or hair color than he is for being a spike.

I have learned lots of things... Mainly that full time management of two deer herds is more than a full time job.

We've messed with protein percentages and are doing new ratios... I've learned I can pick encinal deer out of a lineup...

What the "want" was to have a herd that had different characteristics than the one down south. It looks like we have that, but we still have a lot of trimming to do... And we still need an influx of S Texas stuff every now and then to stop the really crappy stuff we started with from pulling down the average.

Comment

Working...
                              X