How old???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
    No sir never ran cams until last year otherwise just snapped pics of interesting deer while in the stand. Doesn't matter much anyway if he's 3 he can still do a lot if he's 9 he can live it out on his own
    I'm not trying to challenge anything I'm just curious. There's really no telling how old he is without history and I always enjoy when someone has it to show.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsX View Post
      I'm not trying to challenge anything I'm just curious. There's really no telling how old he is without history and I always enjoy when someone has it to show.
      I always enjoyed the surprise of not knowing any of the deer and seeing them for the first time but now I'm enjoying watching them grow also.

I struggle with ages sometimes because it seems we have two body types out here. We can have the really small "hill country" deer and then the larger deer like west of here. Makes scoring just as hard sometimes
      Last edited by bphillips; 08-15-2016, 09:34 PM.

Comment

At least 5

Comment

I think he is 5. The brisket is a little deceiving because he has a growth or snake bite or something going on that caused a swollen area. But, his face looks mature to me

Comment

UPDATE!!

I can see now a couple of you were right about the brisket being a growth or swollen from a snake bite. I do still believe it's an old buck though. My thinking is his body and antlers are lacking because he took needed nutrition to recover from whatever has happened.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by bphillips; 08-29-2016, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Post prime. Old!

Comment

hard to tell. Body doesn't look as old as his brisket

I still say mature

Comment

Old!

Comment

I still say 3.5... maybe 4.5 we had one like this, his brisket got huge!! we named him "Amani Toomer" I will see if a can find some pics. I found a shed off of him that year, I really thought he would die. we had pics of him the next year, brisket was fine, horns were fine. some one told me it can be caused by infection from Ticks.... Im not sure, but really not that uncommon.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                      hard to tell. Body doesn't look as old as his brisket

I still say mature
                      The brisket is swollen with an infection, not sure what the brisket has to do with age on this deer.

Comment

Originally posted by bowtechbandit View Post
                        I still say 3.5... maybe 4.5 we had one like this, his brisket got huge!! we named him "Amani Toomer" I will see if a can find some pics. I found a shed off of him that year, I really thought he would die. we had pics of him the next year, brisket was fine, horns were fine. some one told me it can be caused by infection from Ticks.... Im not sure, but really not that uncommon.
                        Other than his face looking to have some age you almost never see calluses on knees before 6.5 and mostly 7.5 or better. Not a for sure thing obviously but he will get to live as long as he can and if he makes it to next year we will find out.

Comment

Post-prime

Comment

Originally posted by KingsX View Post
                            I've had a good number of old bucks over the years and sometimes you can't see that they're old but most of the time you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            It is usually much easier to tell live or on video than on trail cam pics on the old bucks that look slick and young.

I think the deer in the OP's original post is no younger than 4.5.

Comment

Working...
                            X