• Time
  • Show
Clear All

This will be good. I will be following.

Comment

Obligatory "following" post.

Living the dream with all that land!

Comment

Now for an opinion...I believe nutrition and animal health is THE biggest challenge and limiter in most deer herds. Age is simple. Dont shoot them. I believe genetics while important are far better in most herds than people understand. Rarely are genetics the limiter in a herd. However, getting nutrition in the 100th percentile year round for many years in a row is very challenging.But it takes that for animal health to fully manifest genetic potential. It is extremely hard to get wild deer free of all parasites, infections, and all the multitude of afflictions that compromise perfect health. But I believe that is what it takes to learn what a herd is capable of.

OF course that is just my opinion. I'm not a biologist just a red neck from La. unencumbered by the scientific method.[/QUOTE]

I agree, nutrition is paramount. Sounds like you are going the extra mile and some of the pics I have seen proves you are doing the right things. Labor intensive to say the least. Will be following.

Comment

In for this one.

Comment

Very interested in following your action plan. You and I have a ton of the same thoughts / beliefs on managing whitetails to get the most out of what the Lord has dealt us. I searched your started threads and enjoyed your opinions and findings in your previous post.

"I believe nutrition and animal health is THE biggest challenge and limiter in most deer herds."

Agreed many times over.

Thanks for all your efforts and posting your results for us that are still in the process of continuing the trail and error methods. Good luck on all your action plans.

Rwc

Comment

I will be in for the long haul listening. I may be purchasing a property approx. 1/2 the size of yours. My first of many questions is about what is the cost to run a 6 strand barb wire fence with a couple of gates. The land is rolling hills. And any suggestions with the fencing would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
                I will be in for the long haul listening. I may be purchasing a property approx. 1/2 the size of yours. My first of many questions is about what is the cost to run a 6 strand barb wire fence with a couple of gates. The land is rolling hills. And any suggestions with the fencing would be appreciated.
                I cant help with cost as I have no barbed wire fences here on the farm. What I can tell you is that a 6 strand fence may be great for a properties perimeter but I do not like them as interior fences. We have countless miles of fencing in Mexico and I only build 4 strand fencing now.

I have found mature bucks much prefer to go under a fence and even a 5 strand fence with a wire close to the ground impedes travel. Granted they can and will jump if pressed but I've also observed them walking back and forth next to 5 strand fencing struggling to cross.

Comment

Thanks for doing this, Rusty. I look forward to following this and seeing what is similar and different from my family farm in East Texas. Nice seed combos--I like the variations. Do you rotate the variations each year for different fields or is it based on sunlight amount and soil composition for specific plots?

Comment

1350 acres and it has been raining all day...

I sure wish we had more in common!

Comment

Man I love these threads.

Comment

Great thread thank you for posting. You sir are living the dream

Comment

Tuned in on this one

Comment

Any chance you could get some pics up? Following either way

Comment

Originally posted by Aggieivy06 View Post
                              Thanks for doing this, Rusty. I look forward to following this and seeing what is similar and different from my family farm in East Texas. Nice seed combos--I like the variations. Do you rotate the variations each year for different fields or is it based on sunlight amount and soil composition for specific plots?
                              I'm generally experimenting each growing season though cow peas and soybeans are a summer staple. Trying the sunflowers in them this year is new for me. Historically I have used sorgham with the peas.

My original plan was to plant the soybeans alone in fields planted last fall with 50 lbs/ acre each of rye,wheat, and oats. No crimson or other legumes. I was going to plant the peas with sunflowers and pearl millet in fields that were planted last fall with 50/lbs/ acre rye, 20 lbs/ acre oats, 15 lbs/ acre crimson, Austrian winter peas and radishes. I figured the sunflowers would use the nitrogen from the legumes.

Then at the last minute I decided to put sunflowers and pearl millet in both the peas and beans to compare the difference. All the fields are large enough to handle grazing pressure and with good light and soil.

I'm trying sunflowers for the peas to climb. deer to graze and hopefully attract doves . One field is 13 acres plant exclusively in sunflowers and managed soley for dove hunting. My scheme is to hold as many doves as possible on the farm them attract them to the dove field.

Comment

Originally posted by The Cajun View Post
                                Any chance you could get some pics up? Following either way
                                I NEED HELP! For whatever reason I can post trail camera pics no problem but when I try to upload pics from regular camera they dont upload for posting. Planning to buy new camera to see if it makes difference.

Will humbly appreciate any advise cause I am happy to make photo rich.

Comment

Working...
                                X