Question for electricians or HVAC guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wechebuck View Post
    This is the best solution. I’ve been in the business 20+ years and yes it is a legitimate code violation. IMO it is a BS call because you only need access to it to shut power off to the unit. But the code says you must have a 30’’x 30’’ workspace in front of that.
    For a breaker panel vs. a disconnect? Both?
    ...Curious

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
      ...Curious
      Disconnect

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
        Technically, it isn’t supposed to be directly behind the unit. I know city inspectors in San Antonio will fail us for it.

As for a home inspection, I would decline to fix it unless it’s absolutely going to kill the sale. It in no way affects the performance or safety of the machine. It’s just a stupid rule and home inspectors will note anything and everything so their client thinks they accomplished something.

If you must fix it, your j-box idea will work just fine.
        Yep.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
          How can I fix this?
          What if I just put a Jbox in the spot that is the disconnect and move the disconnect over 3 ft like this?
          That would meet code, but as others have said, I wouldn't do anything.

On the dryer receptacle, he is just letting the buyers know that you have a 4 wire receptacle. A 4 wire receptacle is todays standard. If the buyers have a 3 wire dryer they would either have to have the receptacle changed out or the dryer cord changed.
          You're good, leave it alone.

On the garage receptacles, he's wrong. There is an exception that allows readily accessible outdoor outlets to be tied to the garage circuit.
          This is a new code and you would have been grandfathered in any way...

Comment

Home inspectors try to base all their decisions good or bad off the most recent code. Since your house was built before this code was put in place you have no obligation to make any changes that are based on old vs new code.

If the buyer wants you to make the changes tell them fine and that you will adjust the price to reflect the changes.

Comment

...Curious
              Any electrical equipment. Panels, disconnects, transformers, etc.

Comment

It is a working clearance NEC violation as noted by Rubi. In that instance there must be 30” clear in front of the disconnect and at least 30” wide as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                  Also this
                  Am I supposed to run a new wire to outside outlets now?
                  This seems ridiculous as I can see a never ending list as time goes on to constantly be to code. It was obviously fine to have the lines together in 2002.
                  Technically you don’t have to fix any of it. The right thing to do is correct what was a code violation when the house was built. Codes are always changing and yes it would be a never ending list to fix everything.

Comment

What I've found on the disconnect/panel front:

Don't try to use Article 110.26 clearances for working space.
                    It only has to be accessible and with-in sight. Article 440.14

Breaker panels are covered by Article 110.26. which covers equipment that is likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized.
                    A/C disconnects are not covered by article 110.26 because you can de-energize it to service it.

Disconnecting Means
                    440.14 Location Disconnecting means shall be located within sight from and readily accessible from the air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment.
                    The disconnecting means shall be permitted to be installed on or with-in the air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment.
                    The disconnecting means shall not be located on panels that are designed to allow access to the air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment.

Good Luck with the sale.

Comment

Breaker panels are covered by Article 110.26. which covers equipment that is likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized.
                      A/C disconnects are not covered by article 110.26 because you can de-energize it to service it.

Disconnecting Means
                      440.14 Location Disconnecting means shall be located within sight from and readily accessible from the air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment.
                      The disconnecting means shall be permitted to be installed on or with-in the air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment.
                      The disconnecting means shall not be located on panels that are designed to allow access to the air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment.

Good Luck with the sale.
                      Wrong.

Comment

Can I run both wires in one piece of conduit if I move it over 3 ft? Or do I need to put each run to and from the junction box in separate conduits per code?

Comment

Just because the inspector said there is an issue, that doesn't mean you have to fix it. He is just telling the buyer what he sees that may be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                            Just because the inspector said there is an issue, that doesn't mean you have to fix it. He is just telling the buyer what he sees that may be a problem.
                            This. You don't have to do anything

Comment

I know...I know I dont have to do squat but I want to appease the buyers and show that I am correcting most every electric issue that was mentioned in report

Comment

Disconnecting Means

Good Luck with the sale.

This is wrong.

Op. You can’t run line and load in the same conduit. Just throw a jbox on existing disconnect and move it over. Abandon the line that goes thru the wall to the unit. Run a new line in a flex whip (assuming it’s shorter than 6’) if it’s longer you can run sch. 80 pvc and then transition to flex. I will post pic next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X