No announcement yet.

Teacher pay raises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And yes, my wife is a teacher....in the same district where I pay property taxes.

Comment

I am fine with my property taxes going up to increase teachers pay. Thank a Teacher you can read this...…..

Comment

My taxes go up every year anyway. I would continue to pay higher taxes for teachers to be paid more, if I knew it was ACTUALLY going DIRECTLY to teacher salary.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          Yeah, I know. I am a flaming liberal snowflake and don't know what to do about it. For the life of me, I cannot think logically. That's just the way I am, and I hate myself for it!
          Good one Burnadell!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
            I guess with only given an opportunity to either vote yes or no, I would have to go YES.

But I do think there area so many other ways to fund the teachers pay raises that do not include additional taxation, with some mentioned above.

Rwc
            Ya think Crawford would give up sports?

Comment

I am in favor of pay raises for teachers, although I have to wonder why some teachers complain a lot about low pay, conditions, difficult kids, lack of administrative support, etc., etc., etc. when they knew the salary structure before they accepted the jobs. If you don't enjoy the job, do something else.

After reviewing all the complaints about property taxes, I got to wondering how many complain about rising taxes but still want teachers to get raises.

I know many will complain about wasted tax revenues, and I am sure there is some of that, especially in larger districts. I have served on my local White Oak ISD board and the Kilgore College board, and I can testify that there was a constant challenge of trying to fund annual increases in operations and raises while not raising taxes more than necessary. Money was always tight and not wasted.

So..how many on TBH are willing for their property taxes to increase (probably considerably) to pay for teachers raises?

I'm not really wanting another discussion about bonds, wasting revenues, stupid administrative decisions, et. Just yes or no about supporting increased property taxes to fund raises.
              NO.

NO. NO. NO.

no no no no

Heck NO.

Infinity of NO.

Comment

Hell to the NO! X10. Property taxes are too dam high!

Comment

So you want to cut out all sports?

Have you ever reviewed your school district's budget to ferret out any waste?
                  I know this is not a popular view, but yes, if school had no sports that would be fine. If you want sports, get into YOUR pocket, not mine. Troup spent over $800,000 on their track and field a few years ago when teachers were furnishing some school supplies out of their pockets. That is disgraceful IMO. My wife has been working for the school system for some time so I am familiar with what happens there.

Comment

No sir, not a chance!
                    But I do believe the state could give a up a few things that could/would bridge the gap............................I am still sticking to YES for your original question.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      Only the tip of the iceberg.

Administration, and politics are castrating the education system in this state. If those involved were willing to do their actual jobs, quit wasting money and resources, and put the actual education of our kids first....this could all be funded with minimal expense to the average taxpayer.

To say nothing of the misappropriation of lottery funds originally intended for education.

For the time being, yes I support raising property taxes for the purpose of raising teacher's salaries. They are going to raise them anyway, we might as well spend it wisely for once...
                      I know that's right.

Comment

I grew up there and i would think they would not.

Comment

Yeah, I know. I am a flaming liberal snowflake and don't know what to do about it. For the life of me, I cannot think logically. That's just the way I am, and I hate myself for it!
                          It's ok, we love you anyway.

Comment

I’m in favor of raises and don’t mind paying for it. Though I will say the way OP has framed this debate doesn’t reflect reality.
                            Last edited by Hunteraudit; 04-04-2019, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Okay, so you save $15m on the Supt's salary. How many teachers in the Pflugerville district? Multiply that number times $5m. How will that get funded? No way by cutting that much in expenses EVERY year.
                              Are we talking about "m's" or "k's" ?

On a semi-serious note: Where do education vouchers fit into this question. What about privatizing the whole education system?

My wife and i were able to send our kids to small private schools that we were very satisfied with. And, i feel the expense and sacrifices were well worth it. We'd do it again. Our kids never spent a minute in a public school class room. We've paid for the education of more than a few kids over the years. Can i get a refund?

I can't operate the internet well enough to find out how many taxpayers there are in the state, and how many public school teachers there are. I'd like to see some simple math that would show what amount of additional tax dollars we're talking about. Are we talking about $500 additional per tax payer per year? $42 / month? More? Less? What numbers are we talking about.

Comment

I echo what Dale said. Burnadell, I get it. No one wants to raise taxes but every teacher wants a raise. There is so much waste in the school system and the majority of teachers are good to great and go above and beyond. You’re pragmatic response seems to indicate that teachers should just get over it. This is my assumption and could be wrong but I would suggest that your intuition on teachers roles or extra work etc... is probably lacking.

Comment

Working...
                                X