2019 Saltwater Fishing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gigem95 View Post
    Yessir. We’re on small island across jetties from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
      I fished Friday and Saturday in Matagorda. Friday was tough. I had a charter and we scratched and clawed for a few fish. We caught some redfish, a drum and a trout and a bunch of dinks. But that's what happens when it's blowing like that.

Saturday was good. I had a charter in the morning and we boxed our 20 trout pretty quick on live shrimp under popping corks and then caught and released a bunch more. I went looking for redfish for a couple of hours and found trout just about everywhere I went. We ended up with one nice flounder and 20 trout. The tide drop moved the reds around and I never did find any I could get to.

My daughter was home from college for the weekend so on our way back to the dock Saturday I texted her and told her to head on down and meet me at the dock if she wanted to go fishing. She did and we ran back out for a short afternoon trip. We fished about an hour and a half or so and boxed enough for a couple meals before heading in so she could get some studying done for tests this week. It was a nice day on the water and always better when I get to fish with my kids, even if just for a little while. I don't get to fish with my daughter much these days.

Pretty typical April fishing.

Nice, always enjoy the heck out of the few times a year I get to fish with my daughter.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Fishing in POC was tough for us this weekend but weather was fantastic minus the wind. Only caught a few but love it when the kids get in on the action.

Comment

Nice deal!!!

Comment

I hate making adult decisions!

We bought a beach house late last summer and I have been skiff shopping since then. I've come to the realization that at this point in life I cant use a boat often enough to justify a boat, maintenance and storage near the beach house. Maybe a few years down the road it will make more sense.

So...in the midst of my pity party I decided that I will take up fishing the jetties on SPI.

Here is where I reward myself for being an adult...

I need recs on a good spinning reel and rod for jetty fishing.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

You probably need a couple of different rods. You'll probably want a good trout, slot red, sheepshead, etc rod and then you'll probably want something a little heavier for jacks, big reds, big drum, maybe a tarpon, etc.

I'd recommend looking at the Falcon Pass Rod or The King rod for the heavier rod They are 8' heavy and X heavy rods. Match it to a Daiwa BG 5000 or Penn Battle II 6500 and fill it with 50# braid.

For the lighter rod a 7' med action spinning rod like a Falcon Coastal 7' med with a Daiwa BG 2500 or Penn Battle II 2500 with 20-30# braid would be about ideal.

That would be a good start and would set you back about $200 per combo or maybe a little more.

Sounds like you also need to look into getting a kayak. Inexpensive, low maintenance and easy to store.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
                You probably need a couple of different rods. You'll probably want a good trout, slot red, sheepshead, etc rod and then you'll probably want something a little heavier for jacks, big reds, big drum, maybe a tarpon, etc.

I'd recommend looking at the Falcon Pass Rod or The King rod for the heavier rod They are 8' heavy and X heavy rods. Match it to a Daiwa BG 5000 or Penn Battle II 6500 and fill it with 50# braid.

For the lighter rod a 7' med action spinning rod like a Falcon Coastal 7' med with a Daiwa BG 2500 or Penn Battle II 2500 with 20-30# braid would be about ideal.

That would be a good start and would set you back about $200 per combo or maybe a little more.

Sounds like you also need to look into getting a kayak. Inexpensive, low maintenance and easy to store.
                Thanks! Yea, a kayak is on my list too. I'm still mourning the adult decision not to buy a boat.

Comment

Efff adult decisions... buy a boat

Watch "Kenny Chesney - Get Along (Official Music Video)" on YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post

HA!!

Im not a huge Chesney fan but man that video makes me want to go to a concert

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      HA!!

Im not a huge Chesney fan but man that video makes me want to go to a concert
                      He puts on a hell of a show! Seen him a couple times.... eye candy at the venue was something to behold too

Comment

Careful you Shanes... let's not derail this FISHIN' THREAD!! Though I do like eye candy...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                          Careful you Shanes... let's not derail this FISHIN' THREAD!! Though I do like eye candy...
                          Yes sir Mr Charlie! so no pics of said eye candy? Ok

Comment

Yes sir Mr Charlie! so no pics of said eye candy? Ok
                            well......... Since you dun went and posted about it... you know the rules... pics or it didn't happen!

Comment

I’m with Shane, buy a boat. Even if it’s a used boat, buy a boat.

Don’t take life to seriously, you will never make it out alive.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                                Hahaaa
                                Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                                I’m with Shane, buy a boat. Even if it’s a used boat, buy a boat.

Don’t take life to seriously, you will never make it out alive.

This!!

My family has had boats since before I was born. Never been without at least one, center console to glitter boats. Hell we had 3 at one time.

And for all the naysayers, the only one I was happy to see leave had a flippin merc on the back. Couple I wish we still had

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X