Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leica Visus or Leupold VX-5 HD or?

Hi guys.

I have a 6.5 PRC coming through the APR build (Tier 1) and continue to waffle on the scope. This will be a hunting rifle and a majority of shots taken will be under 500 yards.

I’m considering a Leica Visus 3-12X50 4a(i) which I can get for $999. From a value perspective, any thoughts on how this would rate in comparison to Leupold VX-5 HD (3-15X44)?

What I’m trying to find is a scope with a low end power of 3X that I can dial and want to keep the weight lower than 22 ounces. I don’t think I need 20X magnification as long as the quality of glass is high. Trying to keep the prices "around" a grand.

Yes, I’m over probably overthinking this.

Thanks in advance!

Splitting hairs, as both are good glass. Leica will perform better in low light if that is a higher priority.

Comment

... I would prob go lieca out of those two

Comment

I can tell you my son's VX-5HD 3-15x44 has performed very well. Great glass, tracks well and can handle a beating from a 14yr old.

Comment

That's what makes this difficult - not being able to "see" the Visus prior to pulling the trigger.

Comment

I'm sure the Leica has better glass, but I'd look into the warranty on those scopes. I've personally had a bad experience with Leica's customer service on a repair - took forever, bad communication, just showed up one day.

I've had pretty good experience with Leupold's customer service with a similar repair.

*I've also had multiple dealers steer me away from Leica Products, strictly because dealing with their warranty and repairs department is a nightmare...just food for thought

Comment

That is good food for thought....

Comment

The price on the Visus is roughly equivalent to the VX5-HD (closeout). Yes, I know that doesn't make it "more better", but that continues to give me pause.

I love and hate scope shopping.

Comment

I've never looked through a Leica, but I own a VX5-HD 3-15x44 and it's AWESOME!
                  Low light is outstanding and more so if you have the illuminated center!

Comment

I have a couple Leica’s and a couple VX5 HD’s. Leica is better glass but only from sunset to sunrise. You really can’t tell the difference during daylight. The last 30 and first 30 minutes are great. I can tell you hog hunting at 75 yards in 1/4 moonlight is no problem with the Leica. It is a bit heavier in the models I have.

Comment

For you Leica guys - what are your thoughts on the L-Ballistic (non-illuminated) reticle at distance? The Magnus scopes are now at "blow out" prices.

Comment

Originally posted by cb4128 View Post
                        I'm sure the Leica has better glass, but I'd look into the warranty on those scopes. I've personally had a bad experience with Leica's customer service on a repair - took forever, bad communication, just showed up one day.

I've had pretty good experience with Leupold's customer service with a similar repair.

*I've also had multiple dealers steer me away from Leica Products, strictly because dealing with their warranty and repairs department is a nightmare...just food for thought

Not that I normally make my buying decisions on warranty but I’ve heard plenty of reports of terrible customer support from Leica.

And the VX5 HD is a fantastic scope backed by a great company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Magnus is out of the picture (non-illuminated). Reticle is too fine without the illumination.

Back to Visus or VX5-HD!

Comment

I vote vx5hd, have two of them in 3-15x56 and have been amazing so far.

Comment

Working...
                            X