280 Ackley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

280 Ackley

So after what seemed like a lifetime I ran across one on gunsamerica and got it in today. The stock is some kind of aftermarket with no markings but Im going to set it in a Boyds lamenated anyway.
    My question is that the barrel is a Shilen #1. Featherweight. 22 inch
    Will I need to keep a pressure point on the barrel in the new stock or do ya'll think it will be fine free floated? Thanks

i personally would free float it first and see how it shoots,,, if it is not to my liking i would then add a bit of contact at the front

Comment

Interested to see what stock is on it. Might be quality. Post a pic?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
        Interested to see what stock is on it. Might be quality. Post a pic?
        I will get some pics wednesday. it may be good but has no floorplate and I think I will perfer to have one.

Comment

Originally posted by skipetex View Post
          I will get some pics wednesday. it may be good but has no floorplate and I think I will perfer to have one.
          If someone did custom work it may be good Is all I’m saying. I’ll try to help ID it and maybe buy it or help you know what it’s worth to sell it!!

Comment

The current stock is probably better than any Boyd’s. People that get into calibers like that tend to be a little more particular.

Comment

Yall are probably right about the stock. If it shoots good it will stay. No matter what I think about it. I would rather have an ugly tach driver than a pig with makeup

Comment

Based on the rifle description, my guess the stock is a Brown Precision. Likely made of graphite, possibly the Kevlar version which weighs 16 ounces. Great stocks that we’re priced higher than giraffe balls.

Comment

Got s few pics today. I have no idea what brand stock it is. There are no markings on it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

What in the

Who in the

I take it back. Buy the Boyd’s!! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      What in the

Who in the

I take it back. Buy the Boyd’s!! Lol
                      I fully agree. will be calling them in the morning to see what they offer for this model mauser.

Comment

Id get the throat checked out too. The first and only 280ackley I ever purchased used had fire cracking really bad and wouldn’t group at all. Be a good idea to look into that before spending money on anything. In case you go a different way with it. I spent $1200 for a mod70 action and stock. I’m shocked with the pics of that unit.

Comment

280 Ackley

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                          Based on the rifle description, my guess the stock is a Brown Precision. Likely made of graphite, possibly the Kevlar version which weighs 16 ounces. Great stocks that we’re priced higher than giraffe balls.

Could this unit be what you speak of? I acquired this rifle and it’s a good one but stock has wear on it. Other then that it’s a shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Txarrowhunter View Post
                            Could this unit be what you speak of? I acquired this rifle and it’s a good one but stock has wear on it. Other then that it’s a shooter.
                            hard to tell from your pic .... Brown makes several model stock in several configurations .. https://www.gunsamerica.com/91698718...tock-Blank.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                              hard to tell from your pic .... Brown makes several model stock in several configurations .. https://www.gunsamerica.com/91698718...tock-Blank.htm

I see. This one has the kevlar type texture spray to it. I was slightly confused I’d have to get it out next time I’m at ranch and compare them.

Comment

Working...
                              X