Scope for Hunting Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope for Hunting Rifle

I have a custom 6.5 CM that I had built back for hunting. I put a Steiner t5ix on it, but it is bulky and heavy. Not a good fit for hunting.

However I want to put good glass on it. Also, I would prefer to have exposed turrets. I don’t intend to shoot past 600 yards with the rifle.

What would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put a Leupold VX5HD 3-15 on my 7mm Rem Mag for that very reason, to be as light as possible on a hunting rifle. At 19.5oz, it seemed to be about the lightest 30mm tube option in the 15x range. I like the weight a LOT better than a Burris 4-20 Veracity I had on the rifle previously, and don't miss the extra magnification for hunting purposes. I chose the Windplex reticle to have measured wind hold-offs for longer shot opportunities.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Cottonfish View Post
      I put a Leupold VX5HD 3-15 on my 7mm Rem Mag for that very reason, to be as light as possible on a hunting rifle. At 19.5oz, it seemed to be about the lightest 30mm tube option in the 15x range. I like the weight a LOT better than a Burris 4-20 Veracity I had on the rifle previously, and don't miss the extra magnification for hunting purposes. I chose the Windplex reticle to have measured wind hold-offs for longer shot opportunities.

Stu

Is that a first or second focal plane?

Comment

It's 2nd focal plane and would also be my recommendation as well for your situation.

Comment

I'd third that recommendation, VX5HD.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
            I'd third that recommendation, VX5HD.
            Great scope although I'm putting a March 3x24x42 on my APR build. Might check it out. A little more dinero though.

Comment

Originally posted by Geraldg6 View Post
              I have a custom 6.5 CM that I had built back for hunting. I put a Steiner t5ix on it, but it is bulky and heavy. Not a good fit for hunting.

However I want to put good glass on it. Also, I would prefer to have exposed turrets. I don’t intend to shoot past 600 yards with the rifle.

What would you recommend?

What's your budget? That may help in making recommendations. I have a VX6HD 3-18x44 that I am putting on the 7-08 I ordered from APR. I've used it on another gun the past year and love it, but have only shot paper at 100 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by kc5rkg View Post
                What's your budget? That may help in making recommendations. I have a VX6HD 3-18x44 that I am putting on the 7-08 I ordered from APR. I've used it on another gun the past year and love it, but have only shot paper at 100 yards.

Budget is $1500. Might as well use good glass.

Comment

Originally posted by H-D View Post
                  It's 2nd focal plane and would also be my recommendation as well for your situation.

Any particular reason you recommend 2nd over 1st. I’ve been using 1st for a long time.

Comment

listening in

Comment

Any particular reason you recommend 2nd over 1st. I’ve been using 1st for a long time.

Low light close shots and the crosshairs being hard to see on a 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                        Low light close shots and the crosshairs being hard to see on a 1st.

Understood. I’m really looking into the Leupold. Are there any other recs?

Comment

ive got a 3-10x40 vx31 on my light weight setup and the vx5 3-15 on my heavy. i figure 10x is enough but might swap out if i find a deal on another vx5

Comment

I will say that I have loved my VX5HD. I bought it before this past hunting season. It is awesome in low light and the fire dot reticle was better than I could have ever predicted. I am in the process of saving some quid so I can put another one on my new rifle.

Comment

I’ll sacrifice optics somewhat on a hunting rifle, but I’m still going FFP, good glass, and quality turrets regardless of the weight penalty. Personally the lightest optic I would consider is a Leupold MK5 3.6-18. It’ll be Lighter than that Steiner, but not quite VX5HD range. Also illumination. Can make up for any advantage that a SFP reticle has in low light conditions. You just have to remember to turn it in as soon as the sun starts to set.

Comment

Working...
                              X