Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Returning a Security deposit (Tenet perspective)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was there a pet deposit? Were pets allowed?

Comment

Originally posted by BertramBass View Post
      Was there a pet deposit? Were pets allowed?
      Yes they were and it was waived and on the contract being waived

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
        It's not fair, but I bet you never see that $500 again
        If he has texts saying when he planned to move out and that the owner said he would do a walk through but didn't AND he didn't break anything in the contract it should be an easy case for Judge Judy

Comment

Request the invoices.

I provided my last tenant with them. She shut up once I provided before and after pictures.

Always do a move in condition form and take a bazillion pictures. It's the only way to dispute it.

Comment

I’m not seeing the importance of the walkthrough, as it would have been about 10 days after the OP already moved out. Unless they were planning to meet at the home for a joint inspection?

Comment

When we move into a place I perform an inspection per the rental contract. I take pictures of every issue that is noted on the form. Those pictures and a scanned copy of the form are emailed to the landlord and realtor with a CC to myself. When we are ready to move out, I take the same set of pictures as a comparison with many extras showing state of property after we vacate. Those pictures along with all cleaning, rental, and repair receipts during our tenure are once again emailed to owner, realtor and myself.

We always get 100% deposit returned.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                Request the invoices.

I provided my last tenant with them. She shut up once I provided before and after pictures.

Always do a move in condition form and take a bazillion pictures. It's the only way to dispute it.
                Move in condition form was done by the wife so good there.

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
                I’m not seeing the importance of the walkthrough, as it would have been about 10 days after the OP already moved out. Unless they were planning to meet at the home for a joint inspection?
                Walk through would’ve been a few days before the official last day allowing us to make any necessary repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                  Walk through would’ve been a few days before the official last day allowing us to make any necessary repairs.
                  Gotcha, makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                    When we move into a place I perform an inspection per the rental contract. I take pictures of every issue that is noted on the form. Those pictures and a scanned copy of the form are emailed to the landlord and realtor with a CC to myself. When we are ready to move out, I take the same set of pictures as a comparison with many extras showing state of property after we vacate. Those pictures along with all cleaning, rental, and repair receipts during our tenure are once again emailed to owner, realtor and myself.

We always get 100% deposit returned.
                    Bottom line - Show proof or they keep the deposit. Not fair but the burden is on the tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                      I've never seen a landlord not try to hold something out of the deposit, no matter how clean it is.
                      I give tenants their full security deposits back all the time as long as they follow my move out instructions and return the house in the same condition as they moved in minus ordinary wear and tear. I returned 2 full security deposits last week.

To the OP - The Texas Property Code gives you the right to request and receive copies of receipts for amounts deducted from your security deposit. Was the carpet professionally cleaned prior to move in? If the carpet was professionally cleaned prior to your move in you should have had it done at move out. However, unless the house was huge $500 is a lot of money to clean carpet. I rarely pay more than $200 for professional carpet cleaning.

You should also know (and let the landlord know that you know) that improper security deposit deductions are subject to treble(triple) damages. So a judge could award 3 times the improper deduction.

Comment

I always conduct walk through with landlord. The last one tried to pull same crap when the new tenants conducted their walk thru and annotated certain things. All I do is simply reply saying sorry we conducted walk thru together, you signed off no repairs needed, I provided carpet cleaning receipt, and have a nice day.

Always make time to conduct the walk thru with landlord, it will make things easy and if there is an issue it can be discussed at that time.

Comment

most of these places are run by management companies, not individuals. they always try to keep the deposit and only 10% of the former tenants fight it. it's worth it to them to try to get one over on everyone they rent to.

Comment

of course around here with the oil boom the problem is 10X worse. they want a $1,500 deposit and first and last months rent up front for a 1bd.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                              I've never seen a landlord not try to hold something out of the deposit, no matter how clean it is.
                              Originally posted by ken View Post
                              I give tenants their full security deposits back all the time as long as they follow my move out instructions and return the house in the same condition as they moved in minus ordinary wear and tear. I returned 2 full security deposits last week.

To the OP - The Texas Property Code gives you the right to request and receive copies of receipts for amounts deducted from your security deposit. Was the carpet professionally cleaned prior to move in? If the carpet was professionally cleaned prior to your move in you should have had it done at move out. However, unless the house was huge $500 is a lot of money to clean carpet. I rarely pay more than $200 for professional carpet cleaning.

You should also know (and let the landlord know that you know) that improper security deposit deductions are subject to treble(triple) damages. So a judge could award 3 times the improper deduction.
                              Good for you!

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post

Appreciate the info.

Was not disclosed whether the carpet was professionally cleaned or not at the time of move in.

The house was only 1580 sq ft with only 3 rooms having carpet totaling about 390 sqft.

I called 3 places yesterday and the average price was 145$

I’ll be fighting this with the proof I have and will be keep way more material/evidence from here on out. I unfortunately assumed he was a ho eat guy and if I did my part he would do his but that doesn’t seem the case.

I appreciate all the info and help as always guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X