Reloading for Glocks??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading for Glocks??

question for folks with experience on the topic......
    I'm new to reloading. All single stage rifle reloading so far.
    I'm interested in progressive reloading for my 9mm glocks. They all have factory barrels and I hear that it is a NoNo to reload for a barrel with an unsupported chamber.
    At first I thought it was only a problem if you use unjacketed cast bullets, but now I'm hearing that glock chambers cause pressure issues with brass and its not safe to reload them.

I would sure like to know if anyone is having seeing any of these issues.

thanks

I've shot 1000's of reloaded 9mm & 40cal rounds through my factory barreled Glocks with zero issues.
    If it really bothers you (which is understandable) just buy an aftermarket barrel like a KKM (my preference).

Comment

Load like for everything else. If loading loading lead use coated bullets, not cause of any issues other than smokiness. If using uncoated lead, check your barrel for heavy leading, but that probably won't be a problem either. We have shot thousands or rounds or lead, both coated and uncoated, out of factory barreled glocks in 40 and 9 with no issues. I *think* much of this "reloads are bad for glocks" stuff came from gen 1 and maybe 2 guns, or is just BS in general. Ours have been gen 3 and 4, with no issues whatsoever. And i am talking 10,000+ rounds of lead reloads in each gun, not a couple of hundred.
      Last edited by RJH1; 03-01-2019, 07:01 AM.

Comment

That's the info I'm looking for.
        Thanks folks!!

Comment

I used to buy reloads at the gun shows for my 40s, and once while shooting on the farm I had an above normal report and recoil, my mag fell out and I had a smokestack jam. The casing had a hole blown in it where it was unsupported. I'm pretty sure it was a severe overload from a progressive machine. My point is this: The pistol was fine, the shooter (me) was somewhat shaken-up, but I wouldn't worry about the strength of a Glock. Literally millions out there and many shooters reload. I'd be more leery of my progressive loader if it didn't have the option to prevent double charges.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
            Load like for everything else. If loading loading lead use coated bullets, not cause of any issues other than smokiness. If using uncoated lead, check your barrel for heavy leading, but that probably won't be a problem either. We have shot thousands or rounds or lead, both coated and uncoated, out of factory barreled glocks in 40 and 9 with no issues. I *think* much of this "reloads are bad for glocks" stuff came from gen 1 and maybe 2 guns, or is just BS in general. Ours have been gen 3 and 4, with no issues whatsoever. And i am talking 10,000+ rounds of lead reloads in each gun, not a couple of hundred.
            This^^. Some guns, notably the earlier ones, had unsupported chambers that were a good bit oversize. On firing they produced a noticeable bulge on one side of the cartridge case. Resizing the brass would "iron out" the bulge, and the cartridge could be fired again. But there would still be a thin area in the case. A couple of loadings, and resizings, and the cartridge could be chambered with the thin area back over the unsupported part of the chamber, and the case would let go. Sometimes blowing the magazine out of the pistol. The reports of these "blowups" mostly exaggerated, usually no harm to the gun. Some severe blowups that people reported were most likely due to highly over pressure loads from double charging on a progressive press. If fired brass from your pistol has a pronounced bulge in one side, it would be a good idea to put in an aftermarket barrel, otherwise, just load 'em up and have fun..

Comment

I used to load for my Glock 17, original Gen 1 and never had a problem except for some I bought at a gun show. The problem with them was under pressure and not operating the slide correctly. I loaded some fairly hot 9mm loads and shot them with no problem. Just watch your loads. I would select a powder that would just about fill the case so double charges were next to impossible. I started being selective while shooting IMSHA. I found the best groups came from cases that were fairly close to compressing the powder some. We even used a filler at time with some of the rifle shells that were shot out of pistol length barrels, but that's a different story.
              Just be careful with your loads and watch for pressure signs.
              A Glock will handle any good reload.

Comment

I’ve loaded and shot thousands of rounds through a factory glock barrels and never had an issue. I load on a Dillon 650. If you see a severely bulged case with the characteristic Glock striker mark it probably came from a USPSA shooting 9 major.

Comment

One other thing, buy the progressive , just pay attention. We shoot competitively and us and pretty much everyone i know loads on a progressive. It is pretty easy to look in each case when setting a bullet. That said, if you are going to buy a progressive, buy a dillon. I am not a fanboy, but there is a reason that people who load high round counts use them. They are really not much more than the competition and they work reliably. Tinkering is not something that you want to have to do to make your press work

Comment

The plan is to buy a Dillon 650 without a bullet feeder. That way I can glance down in the case before a place a bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by bmc09 View Post
                      The plan is to buy a Dillon 650 without a bullet feeder. That way I can glance down in the case before a place a bullet.
                      Good plan

Comment

Don’t do it!!! You’ll blow your toes off!!

Just kidding. Absolutely nothing different about loading for a Glock vs any other pistol.

Comment

what powder did y'all settle on??

Comment

what powder did y'all settle on??
                            For 9/38/40/45 and light loads in magnums i use titegroup. It is cheap and works good for the 3 gun/uspsa loads that most of my shooting consist of. Top end loads in many popular auto pistols can be had with longshot. I have used others, but tend to come back to these for all but my heavy magnun revolver loads

Comment

question for folks with experience on the topic......
                              I'm new to reloading. All single stage rifle reloading so far.
                              I'm interested in progressive reloading for my 9mm glocks. They all have factory barrels and I hear that it is a NoNo to reload for a barrel with an unsupported chamber.
                              At first I thought it was only a problem if you use unjacketed cast bullets, but now I'm hearing that glock chambers cause pressure issues with brass and its not safe to reload them.

I would sure like to know if anyone is having seeing any of these issues.

thanks
                              I reload my glock 43 9mm all the time and have not had any problems at all. I catch my brass and reload again.

Comment

Working...
                              X