Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats that saying about owning a boat.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also... if you do end up getting a new slightly used trailer. Its simple to swap them out right in the drive way.

Take off the winch on your old trailer and set the tounge down on the ground without the jack holding the trailer up. Line up the back of the new trailer up to the boat, block the back of new trailers tires and winch that sucker on.
    Attached Files

Comment

I would try to repair or find a used trailer in good condition. I new aluminum coastline trailer for that boat is over 3K.

Comment

Bought a headache of a trailer once too, similar drive home, flat tires, light fell off, jack handle gone, wheel bearing that was replaced and no grease. Caveat Emptor....Not a fun day, but good lessons.
        Ended up ordering a new torsion axle from Redneck trailer supply or Rockwell American (did need to set up an account w/tax ID#). Have actually become a regular customer of both of these guys, can’t say enough good about both.
        They were helpful in getting it exact, carefully measured and drilled the frame and bolted it on. I’ll never do leaf spring axles again. Actually did drop axles so I can step out of the boat not climb and it’s way better for low water landings, new plastic fenders and pop in LED lights same as tractor trailers use, as I’m also done with brittle overpriced and exposed boat trailer lights.. Beyond that the two things that took the stress away were getting a small plastic tool box with wiring stuff, extra bearings pre-greased, nitrile gloves, wrenches, and grease in a bag I can cut the corner off and use like a pastry bag. Basically a roadside kit to keep rolling and stay legal when cat fishing and duck hunting in odd places at odd hours.
        Secondly, Incannot stress enough to have trailer tires balanced. Small trailer tires are notoriously bad off the shelf and seem to self destruct and eat bearings along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Txtourist View Post
          Bought a headache of a trailer once too, similar drive home, flat tires, light fell off, jack handle gone, wheel bearing that was replaced and no grease. Caveat Emptor....Not a fun day, but good lessons.
          Ended up ordering a new torsion axle from Redneck trailer supply or Rockwell American (did need to set up an account w/tax ID#). Have actually become a regular customer of both of these guys, can’t say enough good about both.
          They were helpful in getting it exact, carefully measured and drilled the frame and bolted it on. I’ll never do leaf spring axles again. Actually did drop axles so I can step out of the boat not climb and it’s way better for low water landings, new plastic fenders and pop in LED lights same as tractor trailers use, as I’m also done with brittle overpriced and exposed boat trailer lights.. Beyond that the two things that took the stress away were getting a small plastic tool box with wiring stuff, extra bearings pre-greased, nitrile gloves, wrenches, and grease in a bag I can cut the corner off and use like a pastry bag. Basically a roadside kit to keep rolling and stay legal when cat fishing and duck hunting in odd places at odd hours.
          Secondly, Incannot stress enough to have trailer tires balanced. Small trailer tires are notoriously bad off the shelf and seem to self destruct and eat bearings along the way.
          any more info on what you did for lights and wiring? i bought a PVC elbow and make a little mount for the trailer brake lights so they sit on top of the guide posts, trying to keep them out of water as much as i can. using shrink wrap on all connections.
          looking into the torsion axle, its like 250 for new undercarriage pieces/ leaf springs/ubolts, the torsion isnt much more but says its not/cannot be galvanized? The axle I have is galvanized

Comment

For lights replace with LED and unplug before you back in the water. The LED trailer lights are not expensive and worth every penny.

Comment

Bust Out Another Thousand.

Comment

Originally posted by hunt247 View Post
                Bust Out Another Thousand.
                wow, everything makes complete sense now

Comment

Originally posted by Big_gun View Post
                  I replaced my springs and shackles with dual torsion axles and didn't look back. was an easy swap, cut off all old brackets and bolted on the new axles. Was cheaper then replacing all the springs / shackles etc. I picked up my parts in Houston at www.mcclaintrailers.com/parts/axle.htm#torsion 8 bolts and was going down the road... fix it right and it shouldn't leave ya stranded for a while, I think the dexters have a 5 yr maintance free warranty
                  how much was the torsion axle and what size boat/trailer was it for?

Comment

Originally posted by duckboy007 View Post
                    Fixed it for you. I speak from experience, start over with something that hasn't lived in a saltwater marsh its whole life.
                    This is true. I can promise you the inside of those rails will be bad.. Id get a new "I beam" type trailer, or its just going to be something you'll have to replace later, spend more time and money on. Taking the chance of the frame giving out on the road isn't worth the small amount of money you'll save in my mind.. just my 2 cents. But looks like it'll be a great boat after that!
                    Last edited by taylormade820; 08-06-2019, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X