Alaska don't play!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
    Before you get all giddy about what Alaska does to poachers, realize that, had that hunter been a native, nothing, and I mean nothing would have happened to him. A few years ago, a native and his son were caught shooting belugas from a cliff with absolutely no intent to salvage the carcasses, and they got off scot free when the guy claimed that he was just teaching his son "the native way." I know a pilot that went on a "seal hunt" in northwest Alaska with some natives. They rode out on four wheelers paid for by the U.S. tax payer and used military surplus ammo. The "hunt" consisted of a bunch of drunk natives with old, rusty rifles attempting to shoot seals in the head with crusty iron sites. According to the pilot, they couldn't hit the side of a barn, and had no intent of salvaging a seal if they did hit one. When he asked how they were going to recover the seals, he was asked "have you ever eaten seal? It sucks." It's criminal what goes on.
    Not far off from what happens in neighboring states on reservations.

Comment

Well now

Comment

Check out the antler restrictions on moose. 50 inch spread required. Imagine trying to guess that while out in the bush.

Comment

The guy got what he deserved and sounds like they hit him where it hurt. $100k and 270 days in jail sounds like a pretty good deterrent.
          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
            Check out the antler restrictions on moose. 50 inch spread required. Imagine trying to guess that while out in the bush.
            Especially when he shot one that was 45”. The 25” was straight disregard of the law, but I can see a 5” mistake being honest. This guy seems like he just shoots anything though. Glad they got him. That is a heck of a lot of meat that he let just spoil because of his selfishness

Comment

People get in cars and drive drunk and get far less than this. On the forum I can’t think of anyone that has had a loved one killed by a poacher. I know there a lot of folks on here that hurt daily from the aftermath of a drunk driver. Put things into prospective. Sure it’s wrong, against the law, and it takes resources from everyone else. Drunk drivers wreck families and take human lives

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                People get in cars and drive drunk and get far less than this. On the forum I can’t think of anyone that has had a loved one killed by a poacher. I know there a lot of folks on here that hurt daily from the aftermath of a drunk driver. Put things into prospective. Sure it’s wrong, against the law, and it takes resources from everyone else. Drunk drivers wreck families and take human lives
                Truth here for sure!

Comment

Now that is a deterrent to poaching! Wow the state hammered that #ss

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
                    Yeah and Texas needs to b that strict imo.
                    No joke, I watch lone star law and it’s cheaper to pay fines when you get caught VS paying for a lease..

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                      Yep and still they get behind the wheel to do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
                        This was my thought as well---at least with wtd and ARs you have a semi-judge with their ears.

Comment

Working...
                        X