Towing question/advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Towing question/advice

Ok, so long story short. I am wanting to take my RV to the lease as well as a 275 gallon tote full of water for my water station. My problem is I confused myself when looking up all the GVWR/GAWR and all the rest of the terms to see if it would be safe to do.

So here is how I am planning to do this if it is safe to do.

2019 3/4 ton diesel
    8800 pound RV ( about 1,320lb tongue weight )
    275 gallon tote full of water (2,283 pounds ) will be placed against the cab as far in front of the back axel as possible.
    add in another 500 pounds for gear and other things needed.

So basically I will have around 12,000 pounds of extra weigh when all is said and done.

Anyone who understands all of the weight capabilities of a truck know if this is safe to do?

If it were me I would take the tote empty to the lease. Drop the RV. Go into town fill up tote and bring it back to the lease. What is your plan for getting full tote on and off the bed of your truck?

Comment

We will need the Payload and towing capacity of your truck. Do you have an equalizer hitch, with load leveling bars?

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
        If it were me I would take the tote empty to the lease. Drop the RV. Go into town fill up tote and bring it back to the lease. What is your plan for getting full tote on and off the bed of your truck?
        I am kinda thinkin along the same lines but......is your truck a ford, chevy, or dodge? I am sure each of those vehicles have different ratings. what you really need to know instead of the GAWR and GVWR is the GCWR (gross combined weight rating) of your specific vehicle. The GCWR tells you the maximum towing and payload capacity of your truck

Comment

Don't haul water... Get it when you get there.

Comment

I bet your diesel will barely carry the tote full of water legally.

Most 3/4 crew cab diesel trucks on the market today have a payload capacity of 1800-2400 lbs depending on options. Gassers will have an extra 500-800 lbs capacity over a similar diesel truck.

Comment

You do realize, the water alone will be 2,285.3 lbs... not including the weight of the tote.

Add the weight of the trailer, and fuel, and any extra you throw on....

You better pray nobody does something stupid in front of ya.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                I bet your diesel will barely carry the tote full of water legally.

Most 3/4 crew cab diesel trucks on the market today have a payload capacity of 1800-2400 lbs depending on options. Gassers will have an extra 500-800 lbs capacity over a similar diesel truck.

Yep. I wish I had paid better attention to this when I bought my 3/4 ton truck. I would have gotten a 1 ton instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I think it’s gonna be pretty overloaded for a 3/4 Ton

I see a lot of people who drive a 3/4 tons who act like it’s Zeus’s chariot and will tow the entire world without strain.

For those applications imo you need a 1 ton or better yet a dually.

I’m with the camp that says drop the trailer off first then get the water on a separate trailer.

FWIW I drive a Ford 3/4 ton diesel

Comment

Does everyone here really think a 350/3500 SRW truck is an actual upgrade in abilities? Legally yes. Physically not really. If it’s going to physically overload your 3/4 ton it’s still going to do it to your 1 ton SRW. The main difference is the sticker on the door which the government tells you that you can carry.

Comment

Does everyone here really think a 350/3500 SRW truck is an actual upgrade in abilities? Legally yes. Physically not really. If it’s going to physically overload your 3/4 ton it’s still going to do it to your 1 ton SRW. The main difference is the sticker on the door which the government tells you that you can carry.
                      People here never ever do anything even remotely questionable...... Law & Order every time on the green screen.

Comment

You need to mention the make sure it would make a difference.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                          People here never ever do anything even remotely questionable...... Law & Order every time on the green screen.
                          I’ve done it plenty. I’ve also go hit by DOT when WAY over GCVWR on my 350 SRW. I don’t do that anymore lol

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                            Well said!Seems like every thing I do ends up questionable and I have a class A.To the OP I think you are pushing the trucks limits to the point of being unsafe.The tote full of water will be the deal breaker.Sounds like an easy enough fix by taking the tote somewhere and fill it after dropping your RV.

Comment

So a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton have the same suspension package?

Comment

Working...
                              X