Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR-15 Caliber Change?

OK, I have a couple questions.

I have been playing around with my AR, and I got to thinking that the 5.56 is nice, but I am concerned it isn't enough punch to take a deer or hog at 100yds. Right now I don't have an issue because the scope I bought doesn't allow me to see well enough to place a round precise enough beyond 50 yds. But, if I ever did want to upgrade to a scope that can more accurately place a shot at 100yds, would the 5.56 be able to put a Hornady .223 round out there with enough punch to take out a deer or hog, or would the .300 BLK be better. IF the .300 is a better choice, would you guys just swap the barrel, or build a whole new complete rifle and keep the 5.56 for shorter range shooting?

I am a budget minded person, so changing the barrel and replacing the scope would be the route I would lean, but is there a legitimate reason, other than having an extra gun, to keeping the 5.56 and starting a new .300 build? My go-to is my 30-06 TC Encore Pro Hunter, so the AR would be for more of a scouting type rifle, and the 30-06 would still be my go-to for stand hunting, but I like the idea of maximizing the versatility of my AR.

The only thing I dont like about the .300 is its a lil heavy with a not alot of powder pushing it, but its really all about shot placement with the. 223

Comment

100 yards would be no problem on deer with 5.56, hogs you will need to ear hole them but it will work.

There are several options that are better for hunting than the 300 BO but my favorite is 6.8 SPC. I lunge shot a doe with mine last week and she didn't make it 30 yards.

Comment

I ear-hole all hog shots and try to aim for the heart for deer. THe heart shot isn't always successful, but at least I get a double lunger out of it.

I was thinking the .300 just for the fact that the barrel is the only part needing to be changed. I guess if I went with a different caliber I would have to basically build a new gun wouldn't I?

Comment

Originally posted by Bucksaw View Post
          I ear-hole all hog shots and try to aim for the heart for deer. THe heart shot isn't always successful, but at least I get a double lunger out of it.

I was thinking the .300 just for the fact that the barrel is the only part needing to be changed. I guess if I went with a different caliber I would have to basically build a new gun wouldn't I?

Depends on which caliber, some require only barrel, other barrel & bolt and others (6.8) requires barrel, bolt & mags.

All of which is a long way from building a new gun.

Comment

Just build an AR 10

Comment

My buddy's 9yr old nephew just killed a deer at 135 yards with a 223. Shot placement far out weighs the bullet. Literally

Comment

Shot placement may be more important that bullet but not by much imo, with a .223 you have no room for error and no one is perfect.. I've shot a ton of deer with a 22-250 that have dropped and I've shot deer that have run a mile when I found it I realized it was a great shot just didn't do it..

Comment

Originally posted by Bucksaw View Post
                  OK, I have a couple questions.

I have been playing around with my AR, and I got to thinking that the 5.56 is nice, but I am concerned it isn't enough punch to take a deer or hog at 100yds. Right now I don't have an issue because the scope I bought doesn't allow me to see well enough to place a round precise enough beyond 50 yds. But, if I ever did want to upgrade to a scope that can more accurately place a shot at 100yds, would the 5.56 be able to put a Hornady .223 round out there with enough punch to take out a deer or hog, or would the .300 BLK be better. IF the .300 is a better choice, would you guys just swap the barrel, or build a whole new complete rifle and keep the 5.56 for shorter range shooting?

I am a budget minded person, so changing the barrel and replacing the scope would be the route I would lean, but is there a legitimate reason, other than having an extra gun, to keeping the 5.56 and starting a new .300 build? My go-to is my 30-06 TC Encore Pro Hunter, so the AR would be for more of a scouting type rifle, and the 30-06 would still be my go-to for stand hunting, but I like the idea of maximizing the versatility of my AR.

If I were in your shoes, I would just buy a new 300BLK upper. You can get one complete for $300 or so. Then get a scope that lives on that upper, and keep your current scope on the .223.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                    If I were in your shoes, I would just buy a new 300BLK upper. You can get one complete for $300 or so. Then get a scope that lives on that upper, and keep your current scope on the .223.

What is the attraction to 300 BO with its rainbow trajectory and difficulty with bullets expanding at low velocity?

It's a suppressed home defense round

Comment

6x45.....I don't know how that caliber shoots yet but that's my best suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                        What is the attraction to 300 BO with its rainbow trajectory and difficulty with bullets expanding at low velocity?

It's a suppressed home defense round
                        Lots of people are loving hunting with 125 gr bullets and being very effective with them.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 1shot View Post
                          Lots of people are loving hunting with 125 gr bullets and being very effective with them.

Lots of people are reporting great results with 110g Accubond in 6.8 too and don't have to deal with 300BO rainbow trajectory. Me included

Hell I had great results with 85g TSX as well

Comment

I'm not arguing that the 6.8 isn't a good round. The op asked about shots at 100. And at that range a 300 Bo would work just fine and less parts to change out. Heck there is a host of calibers that he could change to that would do the job at 100 yards, but the simplest and cheapest swap to do is a 300bo.

To the op, as one poster pointed out I would just buy a separate upper and swap it out in what ever caliber you wanted.

Comment

I have a blk out upper for mine & love it, pull 2 pins & you have yourself a different rifle. Mines a psa upper & only have about $250 in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X