No announcement yet.

Looking for some duck hunting property around Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP, best of luck to you on finding land to hunt on and not paying for the privilege.

Most land owners are either not interested in letting folks on their property, or they're going to want to do a lease.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
      OP, best of luck to you on finding land to hunt on and not paying for the privilege.

Most land owners are either not interested in letting folks on their property, or they're going to want to do a lease.
      For sure. But thanks for the well wishes!

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
        Scout the public land and learn it well. Over a few years you will learn some great spots...as good as any lease or guided hunt.
        This will probably be my go-to this year. Thanks for the information!

Comment

Originally posted by TxSpinner View Post
          You are pretty far from me, I'm in NE Texas. Me and a couple of buddies group hunt public land if you are ever interested in heading this way. That is a pretty far drive for you though. 9803-421-2504 if you are ever interested.
          Thanks man. I appreciate the invite. I will definitely let you know if I find my way up there this year!

Comment

Originally posted by Txaggie16 View Post
            This will probably be my go-to this year. Thanks for the information!
            Just remember to hang in there and hunt different areas and you will find the birds. I duck hunted public land hard for 20 years and the first few years were a struggle but man did it pay off after that. Keep a log book of your hunts with areas, weather conditions, dates and results, it will come in handy down the road as all the hunts tend to run together after a few years. Most spots produce the same year to year with the same habitat conditions. Don't give up early on your hunts either, I've had many hunts where we didn't have a bird at 9am and a limit at 10. PM me during the season if you want some company and I may hit some areas with you although I only make a couple weekends a year duck hunting anymore. Oh and don't ask other public hunters at the units how they did or if they have any birds, you won't get a straight answer anyway.

Comment

It's best to not think of it as your money, but as the ducks money

Comment

Contact some of the outfitters to see if they are needing any guides for this season. Definitely the cheapest way to hunt but comes with a lot of responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by droebuck View Post
                  Just remember to hang in there and hunt different areas and you will find the birds. I duck hunted public land hard for 20 years and the first few years were a struggle but man did it pay off after that. Keep a log book of your hunts with areas, weather conditions, dates and results, it will come in handy down the road as all the hunts tend to run together after a few years. Most spots produce the same year to year with the same habitat conditions. Don't give up early on your hunts either, I've had many hunts where we didn't have a bird at 9am and a limit at 10. PM me during the season if you want some company and I may hit some areas with you although I only make a couple weekends a year duck hunting anymore. Oh and don't ask other public hunters at the units how they did or if they have any birds, you won't get a straight answer anyway.
                  Thanks for the info man. I really appreciate it! I will let you know if I make it around to hunt this season. Been a hectic year so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Hillwhacker View Post
                    Contact some of the outfitters to see if they are needing any guides for this season. Definitely the cheapest way to hunt but comes with a lot of responsibility.
                    Good thinking. I will ask around! Thanks for the thought!

Comment

I would start making contact now with the big outfitters as they start getting prepared for upcoming teal season. Im sure there is work to be done on blinds and that kind of stuff. then by the time season gets here, they know who you are and what you're about. The guides would also know you and may allow you to tag along to put out and pick up dekes. At some point you'll get some trigger time in.

Comment

Hunt public I’ve had many great hunts on public land. Boat or kayak which ever you have or can afford. Picture for a little motivation. There out there just gotta find em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Blane View Post
                          I would start making contact now with the big outfitters as they start getting prepared for upcoming teal season. Im sure there is work to be done on blinds and that kind of stuff. then by the time season gets here, they know who you are and what you're about. The guides would also know you and may allow you to tag along to put out and pick up dekes. At some point you'll get some trigger time in.
                          Yes sir, thanks for the idea!!

Comment

Originally posted by TA_Fab View Post
                            Hunt public I’ve had many great hunts on public land. Boat or kayak which ever you have or can afford. Picture for a little motivation. There out there just gotta find em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response! The picture is definitely motivation! Thanks! Care to PM me which areas you hunt? Maybe we can hunt together sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
                              Any lease near Houston is big $. Most the "affordable" leases require group memberships, reserving blinds, dealing with lease politics, all to sit in a taco stand next to a flooded field where you might get lucky and shoot a bird. My advice if you are seriously wanting to hunt, hunt public and PUT IN THE WORK. There are plenty of good public places within 2 hours of Houston to duck hunt. The hard part is dealing with all the duck dynasty wannabes, patterning birds, walking a long way to get away from the crowds, learning what works and doesn't. The effort, or lack thereof, is why most public "hunters" are absolutely clueless and don't do well. It's dang hard, but if you're serious and want to work for it, public is cheap and very rewarding.
                              For a moment I thought you was like 50 years old typing all that.

I miss chasing the ducks very much. Public or lease we used to slay them. In my experience the best public hunts are right after a HARD front. 1- most hunters are sissies and don't want to chip ice off their decoys and guns. 2- ducks will set up in easy spots to hunt to get away from the weather. 3-the ducks will feed!! 4- most hunters are sissies and don't want to hunt the cold

Unfortunately a lot of whats posted here is true about leases. I was lucky enough to spend about 15 years on the same lease. I was able to pretty much able to hunt where and when I wanted. However, I spent a lot of time building taco stands (so that I could hunt elsewhere in flood flats in a layout) shoveling levees and just plain putting the work in.

Good luck and its unfortunate you've already missed the best duck hunting Texas had

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                                For a moment I thought you was like 50 years old typing all that.

I miss chasing the ducks very much. Public or lease we used to slay them. In my experience the best public hunts are right after a HARD front. 1- most hunters are sissies and don't want to chip ice off their decoys and guns. 2- ducks will set up in easy spots to hunt to get away from the weather. 3-the ducks will feed!! 4- most hunters are sissies and don't want to hunt the cold

Unfortunately a lot of whats posted here is true about leases. I was lucky enough to spend about 15 years on the same lease. I was able to pretty much able to hunt where and when I wanted. However, I spent a lot of time building taco stands (so that I could hunt elsewhere in flood flats in a layout) shoveling levees and just plain putting the work in.

Good luck and its unfortunate you've already missed the best duck hunting Texas had
                                Thanks for the well wishes!

Comment

Working...
                                X