No announcement yet.

shotgun recomendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For waterfowl,I'd just stick with a pump gun, 870 3 1/2", or a Mossberg. Spend some of the leftover money on shells, and kill as many birds as anyone else....Use the high end guns for upland game/birds, and targets.

Comment

shotgun recomendation

No need to spend your money on 3.5" loads or a shotgun that shoots them. They are purely overkill and was a waste of my money IMO and experience. I spent 18 years chasing those suckers and they were just not needed. I bought a Benelli SBE way back when and can count on one hand how many boxes of 3.5" I shot through it in all the years I owned it. Averaging 1.5-2 cases of 3" steel a year, that's not very many 3.5" shells. Most of the guys I hunted with and hung around with had 3.5” guns too and all ran 3” shells.

Get you a Beretta A300 or a Benelli M2/ Vinci...save your money, your shoulder and never have to deal with any issues a 3.5" receiver can occasionally brings with lighter clay loads. If I had it to do all over again, I would have bought the Benelli M-1 with a 3" chamber but I had to have the 3.5" cool cub gun.[emoji2956] Now I shoot a Benelli M1 20ga at ducks, geese (although it has been a few years) and turkey that hammers them so you know those 12ga 3.5" roman candles are overkill. That 12 ga 3" load patterned better for me than the 3.5 as well and costs less to shoot. It's a no brainer.
      Last edited by Smart; 05-10-2019, 01:38 PM.

Comment

I love my franchi and would buy another in a heartbeat. A buddy of mine was in the market and he shot mine then bought one too. Great guns at a great price. I abuse it and it eats everything.

Comment

i'd shoot an O/U before i shot a pump again. just my opinion. CZ makes some nice O/U that are camo'd out in your price range.

Cabelas has a great online gun library and will ship any gun from store to store for $25 so if you find a gun you like just have it shipped to the nearest store. I would imagine if you buy it they will ship to any FFL dealer.

As far as 3 or 3.5 - i have shot a lot of ducks with both and can see the arguments to both sides. however 3.5" #3's knock the **** out of ducks. For dove and skeet loads you have to shoot premium 1 1/8 oz shells like winchesters AA's or Rios. Economical 12ga shells will leave you cussing. If its a gas operated gun recoil is not that bad with any shell.

Generally the 3 B's are what you are looking for. I have shot a Browning Gold Hunter almost 20 years and have been very happy with it.

Comment

Comment

A newer one on the market that a lot of guys I know are starting to use is retay. It's an inertia driven gun. Only knock is its light and may kick a little more than some. But would be something to look at.

Comment

Shot a many of ducks with a cheap-o shotgun-Mossberg 835 with 3 inch shells. Bought it back in the day for $225.00. No need to sky bust them suckers, you want the wings cup and feet almost on the water.
                I do not like 3.5 inch shells, they rattle my insides.
                That Remington has killed more birds than any other shotgun on the market.
                On the other hand those nice shotguns are sure nice, Beretta’s are my choice but heard the Benelli’s are just as good-never shot one.
                Good luck on your fine. There’s a lot of options out there.

Comment

Ended up getting a Stoeger 3500 Waterfowl Edition got it for 792.00 after discounts and free shipping

Optics, scopes, & more for the precision marksman and serious hunter - Nightforce, Swarovski Optik, Vortex, Sako, Leica, Blaser, Tikka, Trijicon, & many more.

Comment

Working...
                  X