CNC or Water Jet ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CNC or Water Jet ???

Have a friend needing a sign cut out of aluminum and I seem to recall someone may have had some experience with either a CNC or water jet cutting but no luck on the search button.

Anyone know someone within driving distance of Houston that could help?

A plasma table, laser or possibly a water jet, will do what you are wanting. I finished building a CNC plasma table a while back, we are planning on cutting out whatever people want cut out, with it soon. So far, it has been impressive. I don't know of anyone around the Houston area, but can guarantee there are a lot of them.

Comment

Not near Houston but we have a Dyna Torch plasma table and can make any sign desired.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrow-Tek View Post
        Not near Houston but we have a Dyna Torch plasma table and can make any sign desired.
        Where about moms are you?
        Do the plasma cutters leave a burned edge?

Comment

Plasma will have a rougher cut on aluminum than a water jet. Plasma will probably be cheaper. I know a bunch of guys won't (or at least don't like to) cut aluminum with plasma. I'm one of them.

Plasma cutting aluminum over water can lead to trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
            Where about moms are you?
            Do the plasma cutters leave a burned edge?
            Plasma cutters can produce cuts very close to a laser. It really depends on the plasma table, condition, how well it's set up and then the guy running it. I just started cutting with the table we have. I have been cutting 3/16" aluminum with it, making brackets. I have parts that were cut with a laser and then the same parts I cut with the plasma table, they are very close in quality of the cuts and accuracy.

I have watched many videos of stuff other guys have done, I was very impressed. So I made sure this table got set up as best possible, so it would be accurate. I still have a lot to learn, with the little time I have using the table, it's impressive.

The bracket on the left, is the original bracket. It was laser cut. The bracket on the right, was my second time using CAD software to modify the original bracket, then cutting out the modified version of the original bracket. The bracket needed to be longer, slots longer and the two outboard slots narrower. That bracket came right off of the table like that no clean up, before I took that picture.
            Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 03-03-2019, 05:59 PM.

Comment

We are located in the Ft. Worth area. On aluminum it doesn’t leave a burnt edge but it will leave a slag edge that is easily removed with a buffing wheel not a grinding wheel.

Comment

Up again. Anyone near Houston or within 2.5 hrs?

Comment

Have a waterjet in Bryan, Texas. Send me what he wants.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                    Up again. Anyone near Houston or within 2.5 hrs?
                    Im In Needville, 45 min from Houston and have a CNC plasma set up. What exactly are you needing cut? Water jet is allot more precise than plasma but plasma can still do a great job especially for sign work.

Comment

pm'd thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X