Management deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txheartshot View Post
    Not at all. We have plenty of deer to shoot, just trying to decide if letting him go is worth him breeding again this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We will need a little more information about your property to make an accurate assessment. But most likely the answer is no that deer should not be removed in an effort to improve the genetic make-up of your herd. It won’t make a noticeable difference on any low fence ranch in the world. The same could be said for most high fence operations. In most cases Management and Cull are just terms we use to feel better about shooting bucks that don’t fit into the “trophy” category. IMO that deer won’t hurt the genetics of your herd by living the rest of his life on your place and breeding as many times as he can. Now removing mouths in an effort to control population brings up a different argument. Just my .02

Comment

If that’s not an ideal management buck idk what is. But some here will argue that until he comes out on his walker with no teeth he’s too young.

Comment

Looks like you are getting mixed opinions as to what to do. It is your place and your deer, so I guess it is your call. I personally would kill him. I think he is at least 4.5 and probably 5.5. He may put on 5-8 inches next year but he still wont be a great deer (very nice deer, but not great). I would take him out.

Comment

Pretty simple, if you want more deer like him, keep him. If you do not want to feed him another year, shoot him. He is plenty old enough to have better than a 125 inch frame at his age. I would just prefer to cut his Mouth out of the herd.

Comment

Man, that's a major trophy in my neck of the woods. God, I got to get another place where trophies are considered culls.

Comment

Let him walk

Comment

5.5 and he needs to go. Along with that WI camera

Comment

Do you have a lot of bigger deer in his age range ?

Comment

Just shoot him you know you want too!!! Hes a nice buck

Comment

Hard to say. If he is the only mature stragler on your place, cut him. If those genetics are all over you may not have enough hunters/tags to make a dent.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

We always want to think we know what a deer is going to do or not do in the coming year(s). One year I had a 5.5 yr old main frame 9 with a tiny kicker on one of his G2s that I ballparked in the 140 range. There just wasnt anything real special about him but I figured he would make a nice buck for someone so I put him on the hit list. He was very identifiable from year to year because he was missing half of his front left hoof. That pasture was flooded most of the hunting season and I was only able to get hunters in there to hunt him twice. He no showed both hunters and made it to the next year. Boy was it a good thing. He exploded into a giant main frame 9 with all kinds of extras. He scored right at 169. Mother nature sure made a fool out of me on that one. My point is, we never know what is going to happen. One deer doesnt make or break a deer herd but I like to favor in giving a deer one more year if possible. You just never know what will happen.

Comment

If this deer only knew his fate was being decided right now

I wish I had this deer on my place.

Comment

Wack him

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                              Do you have a lot of bigger deer in his age range ?

We have several deer that are either younger, but will score similarly to him, or are the same age but will go 140 to 160. He’s right in the middle.

Comment

Working...
                              X