Side arm when bow hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side arm when bow hunting?

Thinking about buying myself my first pistol. Kinda late in life, but only shot very few pistols. What do y’all carry when bow hunting, any type of hunting, or traveling alone? Just seems there are so many options….where to start

Sig 9mm 365XL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've always carried a pistol when Hunting, especially Bow hunting. I have a bino chest rig that I wear and it has a small pocket in the back that I slip my pistol in. I usually carried a little .38 Special snub nose but thinking of changing to one of my pocket size .380 semi-autos since I really dont want to mess up my snub nose more then I have too.

My thinking on why I carry is for a couple reasons.....snakes, predators that may attack, "Finish Off" shots if needed and maybe some illegals if they get violent since I live fairly close to the border

Comment

If your looking for a normal everyday type carry pistol I usually like the idea of having as many rounds as possible with a mid size frame....im not a caliber snob so a really high capacity .380 or 9mm to me is just as good as a very low capacity .45

Look at these.....
        S&W Shield (different versions)
        Glock 19 or 19x
        Sig Sauer P365 (different versions)
        Springfield Hellcat

Comment

I mostly carry a Sig P365 9MM but will carry a Glock 20 10MM if I ever get a hunt out west

Comment

Originally posted by Masmak View Post
            Thinking about buying myself my first pistol. Kinda late in life, but only shot very few pistols. What do y’all carry when bow hunting, any type of hunting, or traveling alone? Just seems there are so many options….where to start
            If you aren't familiar with sidearms I don't think you should carry one. JMO

Comment

Originally posted by PeePaw on Fork View Post
              If you aren't familiar with sidearms I don't think you should carry one. JMO
              Go ahead and buy one and get familiar with sidearms.

Comment

Polymer judge. Critical defense rounds except the summer time I only keep bird shot in it for snakes

Comment

Start with a revolver...

Comment

Depends.

I wouldnt CC a revolver. I wouldn't EDC one either. Fun to shoot, not my cup of tea.

I carry a G20. Just the thing I have shot the most, and feel most comfortable with.

Whatever you do, spend some time at the range and youll be fine.

Comment

Find a local range that rents guns and shoot a few to see what you like.

If you want a suggestion get a Glock 19. You want a reliable safe weapon and Glock does that incredibly well. 9mm is light on recoil and enough punch for most situations. FWIW I carry a Glock 40 in the woods. I like 10mm

Comment

My edc is a 365xl . Fixing to be going back to my g29 .

Comment

In the woods, I carry my off duty setup... Glock 43x, inexpensive but sturdy and practical Amberide inside waistband Kydex holster from Amazon. The stock mags for this sub-compact, slim line gun are 10 rounds. I use mags from Shield Arms, which extends the capacity to 15 rounds, and Speer Gold Dot hollow points. Anything can happen... Pack of domestic dogs that turn aggressive, someone waiting at your truck when you come out of the woods, step on a mama pig's baby on a trail, guys burglarizing your house as you return home, and so on. Can't predict the unexpected things. Might as well do that homework for the test.

Chambered in 9mm Luger the G43X features a compact Slimline frame with a black slide with an nDLC finish.

S15 magazine is a patented, flush-fitting 15 round magazine for the Glock® 43X and Glock® 48. PLEASE READ BELOW.

Comment

If I'm hunting unknown public land I might carry my Ruger lcp in 22lr in case I get lost. If I'm hunting land I know real well I don't carry anything. Just my opinion but two legged creatures are way more likely to give you problems than a pack of hogs or coyotes. Snakes can be an issue but I'm not going to ruin an area by shooting up the place when I can walk around it or use a stick if I want to kill it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                              I mostly carry a Sig P365 9MM but will carry a Glock 20 10MM if I ever get a hunt out west

I do live ‘out west’ and when I’m bowhunting (or rifle hunting or scouting/ hiking) I carry a 10mm Springfield XD. I used to carry a Springfield 45 when I bowhunted pigs in Cali.

I want 15 rounds that can take down a griz or black bear or mt lion or badger or meth head threatening me. I don’t think the 10mm has bad recoil- but I’m comparing to my son’s 454 Casul.

Comment

Working...
                              X