Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 San Angelo surrounding area season thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will have to follow along this year without a lease unless i can find something

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
      I know Bone Thug killed a stud but did y’all’s bucks seem down in 21-22 season? Seems like ours were. They ate 1/3 of the protein they normally do because of a wet summer.
      We were down bad overall on our place, but we passed a lot of deer that were dang good bucks, so hopefully 2022 is off the charts.

Comment

I know Bone Thug killed a stud but did y’all’s bucks seem down in 21-22 season? Seems like ours were. They ate 1/3 of the protein they normally do because of a wet summer.

We were solid....got a lot of rain all year. Seemed like we were in the line of the storms where as usually, we are missed a lot. Deer and range looked really good going into the summer and then came the good summer rains... can't complain. Now, on the other hand, we are dry.... we need it bad.

Comment

Ours seemed to be up for the most part. I’m a good bit west of SA so it’s a little different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well here we go again….come on rains……

Rwc

Comment

Heading up early tomorrow to put out 10 tons of cottonseed. Going to only be two of us with a couple snow shovels & a truck bed. The plan is to have it all completed by sunset on Saturday but we shall see. Can't quite remember how much we fed last year but we decided this year to try and hammer it all out in one trip rather than 3-4 trips throughout the Spring/Summer.

Comment

How long do y’all feed cottonseed? We have protein and corn all year and looking to start feeding cotton seed also. Just outside of Ballinger.

Comment

Originally posted by camourbo57 View Post
                  How long do y’all feed cottonseed? We have protein and corn all year and looking to start feeding cotton seed also. Just outside of Ballinger.

Depends on how long its available.... I've feed Jan through May and then not been able to find any afterwards with it all being bought up by feedlots. Some folks have their gins have it available through August.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Depends on how long its available.... I've feed Jan through May and then not been able to find any afterwards with it all being bought up by feedlots. Some folks have their gins have it available through August.

Thanks for the info. Have y’all ever seen or read the bucks becoming sterile from cottonseed?

Comment

Thanks for the info. Have y’all ever seen or read the bucks becoming sterile from cottonseed?

Here’s a good watch. Short answer is no I’m the quantity they consume

Comment

I am by no means an expert in this area but from my research- I believe this is only an issue with smaller High Fence applications, where natural food choices can become depleted/limited because of population/competition. From what I understand, deer generally only choose supplemental feed when natural food is in low supply. When natural food become plentiful, they will back off on supplemental feed because they prefer natural.
                        With all that said, I think conventional practice has become to feed cotton seed Jan- early/mid summer to allow for any potential fertility issues to resolve themselves by the time breeding season comes around. I believe Cotton seed and infertility is a product of quantity consumed, which is sort of a product of my above explanation. Just my uneducated .02
                        Last edited by ecallarman; 01-27-2022, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate all the info. I’ve just heard that before and have also been told it’s false but both sides were high fenced and a lot of cotton seed consumed.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            Here’s a good watch. Short answer is no I’m the quantity they consume

http://youtu.be/I8pNxtiA07k

**** fat fingers and auto-correct. that should read "in"...not I'm...

Comment

No need to worry about sterilization, at all!

Comment

I think there were several good bucks killed this yr

Comment

Working...
                                X