simple way to convert my trailer wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

simple way to convert my trailer wheels

I want to convert my trailer hubs so that my chevy wheels will fit them.
    How do i go about that?

Maybe just go to tractor supply and buy new ones...

Comment

You will have to cut the existing spindles off of the trailer axel and weld chevy spindles on in their place.

Comment

I dont think you need to cut the spindle off. I only changed out one set long ago and did not have to. if you do change hubs, make sure you get a good measure on the existing axle spindle diameter so your new hub bearings will fit right. There are different bearing sizes out there.
        Last edited by easeup; 01-31-2023, 08:21 PM.

Comment

I did some googling and i think i can buy some wheel spacers with the correct bolt pattern. Still need to look more into that.
          Appreciate the replies

Comment

Wheel spacers won't change anything if the current bolt patterns are different.

I don't know what year your Chevy is, but they're all likely metric patterns now, you'll have to find trailer hubs that match, while still having the same bearing sizes.

If it's out there, these guys will have it.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 01-31-2023, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Call SW Wheel in Lubbock and ask for Doug. He will know if what you are wanting to do is possible.

It will depend on you bolt pattern and what size bearings/axle info. If you don't know this info, don't bother calling him until you do.

Also it has been difficult to get some trailer axle parts lately. At least during the rona stuff.

Comment

Be careful using the adapters to change your bolt pattern. There are some horror stories out there.

Comment

May be easier to just replace the axle

Comment

wheel spacers will work. I did that converting from a Chinese pattern to take four bolt on 4" for my trailer. But if you can just buy spindles that will work, you will have a more robust setup.

Comment

I s your Chevy a 6 hole? All the six holes are the same. If it's a five hole then there are several different ones. Go to Magnum Trailer north of Georgetown and buy new hubs and put them on. That would be the cheapest and the easiest. If you want to bring it over and do it in the shop, you more than welcome to.

Comment

As Dale said, a spacer won't change the bolt pattern; an adapter will and I wouldn't use either on any trailer other than a lawn cart.

Comment

Most of the trailer wheel hubs, used to be the GM 4.75", 5 bolt pattern. Not sure exactly which GM bolt pattern you are wanting. You could find GM bolt pattern hubs that will work, with the correct wheel bearings. But really not knowing what spindles and hubs you currently have an which GM bolt pattern you have it's really hard to say "Here are your options." You left out about 90% of the info needed to answer your question.

You could possibly have the existing hubs redrilled for the bolt pattern you want, possibly, not definitely. If the current flange is large enough in diameter and the hub is near the correct diameter, you likely could have the bolt pattern redrilled and then maybe a sleeve over the hub, if the hub needed to be larger, or maybe have the OD of the hub turned down smaller, if a smaller OD was needed. I would not reduce the diameter much, but most hubs have extra metal where the wheel is centered that is there just for the purpose of centering the wheel. I don't know if you are dealing with the older tapered wheel bearings or newer sealed wheel bearings.

Most likely it can be done, probably can be done at least three different ways. Spacers/adaptors are the last option you ever want to consider.

Comment

My truck is an 06 with 6 lugs. The trailer is 5 lug.
                            I appreciate the advice and will make some phone calls when I get more info.
                            Thanks for the Offer Draco

Comment

Working...
                            X