It’s just a deer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s just a deer.

For the past few years I have sat back and read thread after thread that really disturbed me. I have managed to not respond to most of these but one I read tonight finally put me over the edge. I have read time and time again how friends have been lost, and families broken up, and thousand of dollars spent over a deer. This is just my opinion so if you don’t think You want to hear it then skip and move on.

Folks.......it’s just a deer.

I too can be mesmerized by a big rack. I too have dreams of killing a big old Texas 160” monster. But, at what expense. Would I be jealous if my lease mate shot “my deer”.

It’s just a deer.

Does it really matter if your neighbor shot the deer at four years old scoring 130” or waiting two years and shooting him at six years old and he scores 150. If he got enjoyment at shooting a 130 then what difference does it make. I’ve seen people call other people idiots for shooting a “young deer”. What difference does it make?

It’s just a deer.

When the good Lord put the animals here for us he said to have dominion over all the animals. Not just the trophies.

I have no problems with trophy hunting. In fact I like to shoot old deer. But I’m not in the business of putting my opinions on ther people. That is all. So my advice is simple whether you heed it or not. Remember, it’s just a deer.

"I too can be mesmerized by a big rack."

Yep

Comment

Pictures of said rack please.

Comment

I like some big racks. I also thoroughly enjoy hunting big deer.

Comment

I 100% agree. I see it more & more these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
            "I too can be mesmerized by a big rack."

Yep
            i see what you did there and I whole heartedly approve😀

Comment

I like all racks. Never seen a rack I didn't like.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

I enjoy all sizes of racks, even if they are paid for. As a man, I don’t have to have them all, but I like seeing them in the wild even if I can’t mount them.

Comment

I agree, Bud. Yes I get frustrated or mad when hunters don't follow my unspoken rule book, but in the end, it is just a deer and my family and friends are worth more.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                    I like all racks. Never seen a rack I didn't like.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
                    Tap the brakes now...

Comment

...........and I lost them........��

Comment

No offense but it wasn’t gonna change any ones mind anyhow most folks are firm believers on both sides of the subject. I do agree with you and appreciate the attempt though.

Comment

I've passed up bucks that i thought were too young only to have other hunters that i hunt with or thier wife and kid take it and just be very excited about it. I got way more enjoyment out of seeing them being so proud of that deer than if i had taken it.

Comment

JcJohnson, I think you are probably right. Made me feel a little better though.

Comment

Obsessions make us think less clearly and skew our priorities. A trophy hunting obsession is no different. When you have so much invested - not just time and money but emotional investment - it is easy to get to a place where you are trying to get more out of this pastime than might be considered healthy. I won’t shoot a young basket 8 point but some get downright irate when it happens. You are right it’s just a deer.
                              Last edited by jerp; 12-17-2018, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X