KJO April 27-29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KJO April 27-29

I put together a group of 6 TBH'ers, and we hunted KJO the last weekend of April. It was my 3rd trip there, and it was the 1st trip for 4 of our hunters, including 2 women. Another member's wife went along with us, but she did not hunt.
    A little history first: In my 2 previous trips, I had killed exactly 1 animal, and that was on my 1st trip.....a hog. I had a great time, and met some new friends; all fellow TBH'ers
    On my 2nd trip (in early March), I did not even see an animal, but everyone else in our group did, although the hunting was very slow, due to so much new green growth, and the animals reluctance to come to corn, over the fresh vegetation.
    On this (my 3rd) trip, my wife and I sat together, during each session. We saw numerous animals and had shot opportunities, at every sitting. I was able to video her bowkill of a real nice Corsican Ram on Saturday morning, and there were numerous rams to choose from, in the herd that we saw. His rams are not tame by any stretch, and you have to be on your game, to score on one of them. We both passed up shot opportunities at pigs, waiting for "her" ram, to offer a good shot. Once it did, she took care of business.
    Now, it was my turn, and on the menu.........hopefully, Axis buck or Blackbuck. We had seen a few BB does and Axis does that morning, so we sat in the same stand Sat evening. We had Corsican Rams at the feeder when we got there and then some Catalina goats came in after we got settled. Worth noting, is that we saw a real good Axis buck, cross the road less than 100 yds from us, when Keith dropped us off. It was actually the 2nd time we'd seen him, so we knew that there was a nice one in the area, but we had not seen a buck at the feeder yet.
    With Catalina's at the feeder, I had just commented to my wife, that it would be nice if the big Axis would take a look at them and decide the coast was clear, and pay us a visit. Within 15 minutes, that's exaclty what happened, and within 2 minutes of that, my arrow had found its lethal mark. Let the celebration begin!! I texted Keith to let him know about my success, and he was every bit as happy as I was, that I'd finally connected on a trophy, at his ranch. Keith wants to see all of his hunters get their animal, but just as in my case, it just doesn't always happen that way. My 3rd time was definietly the charm, and it won't be my last trip there, either. My Axis was hard-earned, and that made it even sweeter, when I was finally successful. I had an awesome time on all 3 trips, and KJO is "woman friendly", as was evident by the 3 wives, who went along with us on this trip, since all of them, are anxious to go back.
    The animals are there (although it's not easy hunting), the prices are very reasonable, the accomodations are more than adequate, and the outfitter, Keith Johns, couldn't be a more pleasant, or hard working host, who did everything he could, to insure that we all had a good time, and also killed some animals.
    I'm proud to call Keith a friend, and I can't recommend him or his operation highly enough, to friends or strangers, who are looking for a fun exotic hunting experience, within relatively short driving distance of Houston. Even if you don't kill, you're going to have a great time, and that is what it's all about.

Great story, congrats on the axis.

Comment

13 days and counting for us to go!!

Comment

Here are the animals that we took. Good luck when you go!
        Last edited by HeyMikey; 04-21-2017, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Great write up!! Congrats on the kills!!!!!!

Comment

pics? it never happened.

Comment

wow that was fast. I was literally typing the last message and boom there were the pics. i like it.

Comment

Nice write up and animals!

Comment

Congrats !! nice axis and ram..... great write up ! A++++ !!!

Comment

Originally posted by takoma View Post
                    Congrats !! nice axis and ram..... great write up ! A++++ !!!
                    Thank you!

Comment

Way to go Mike and wife!!!!!

Sure wish I could have made the trip but it just wasn't gonna happen.

Looking forward to sharing another camp fire with ya.

Comment

Congrats and a great write up. We had a tremendously positive experience on our trip a few weeks ago.

We will definitely be making some return trips.

Comment

nice axis!! congrats on the ram too...

Comment

great trip all around!

Comment

good job

Comment

Working...
                              X