What to bring on Spring Bear Hunt???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to bring on Spring Bear Hunt???

Me and a few other greenscreeners are headed to Manitoba this weekend for a week to bowhunt for bears. You guys that have been before, any suggestions what to bring? Trying to decide if I should pack my knee high rubber boots. Also, what did ya'll bring to the stands? Any must haves or suggestions would be appreciated.

Most likely your guide will tell you to only take your bow and rangefinder to the stand. They don't want you farting around with anything extra.

Yes, on the rubber boots. You'll likely encounter some mud or water, and they're better for scent control than regular hunting boots.

Comment

Don't forget your Thermacell and plenty of refills.

Comment

Thermocell, rain jacket, rubber boots & video camera. Download books on phone or kindle to read for long sits in the tree.

Comment

Originally posted by FreakHorn View Post
          Download books on phone or kindle to read for long sits in the tree.
          Good advice here

Comment

as stated above...thermocell, book, rain coat in backpack, stuff to keep you entertained. If it was like my hunt, you'll sit in the stand for 6-8+ hours. Also, our guide explained to us that bears do what bears want to do. Basically you can't fool their nose so don't try and once they make up their mind to come to bait, they will come no matter if you smell like teen spirit or a rotten beaver.

Comment

Originally posted by gander View Post
              Me and a few other greenscreeners are headed to Manitoba this weekend for a week to bowhunt for bears. You guys that have been before, any suggestions what to bring? Trying to decide if I should pack my knee high rubber boots. Also, what did ya'll bring to the stands? Any must haves or suggestions would be appreciated.
              I’m going in August for the fall bear hunt. We are going with Steeprock River Outfitters in Manitoba who are y’all using?

Comment

Definitely Rubber boots and Rain suit. Take layers as the weather is unpredictable. Would also take a pull string for your bow or rifle.
                Can't "LEGALLY" take butane cartridges for the thermacell on an airplane.
                They are Fun hunts, Enjoy.........

Comment

Layering your clothing will protect most of you from the insects. I would get some of the Avon Skin-so-soft wipes with Picardin repellent. Definitely a head net for mosquitos/black flies just to keep them at a distance from your eyes, and gloves to prevent them from eating up your hands on stand.

Comment

Good luck to y'all. I'd like to do this hunt sometime

Comment

Thermacell and head net.

Comment

I take Thick gloves, Not for warmth but to keep the Skeeters from eating your hands up........

Comment

As stated above, layers of clothing, anything and everything to combat bugs, and a book of some sort ( 6-8 hours is a long time in a stand) maybe a seat cushion ( I bought mine at temperpedic) a good day pack for snacks, water, and a large empty bottle
                          Quality hip boots ask your outfitters

I pulled this off a bear hunt list
                          ““ What To Bring
                          Camouflage or hunter green clothing.
                          Blaze orange hat/togue and vest for the fall hunt.
                          Mosquito repellent and/or Mosquito netting jacket, head gear, etc.(ThermaCell's work great).
                          Safety harness and lanyard (your choice)
                          Firearm and ammunition
                          Waterproof walking boots
                          Good quality Rain gear (water proof!)
                          Knee high rubber boots
                          Light jacket
                          Light footwear for around camp/lodge
                          Insulated jacket
                          Headwear - light
                          Headwear - insulated
                          Gloves - light
                          Gloves or Mitts - insulated
                          Insulated pants or jumpsuit or long underwear
                          Personal effects, such as medication, toiletries, alcohol and tobacco.
                          Cooler (if you wish to take meat/trophy home)
                          Passport is now required
                          Hunter Safety now required “”

My seat cushion
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 05-13-2019, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Everything stated above is a must have. Make sure and take a very comfortable seat cushion or the sit in the stand can become miserable. What outfitter are you hunting with?

Comment

seat cushion, therm-a-cell 2 most important things after your bow.

Comment

Working...
                              X