Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engineer for Home Remodel

Hi All,

I need a little green screen help. My wife and I are remodeling the kitchen in our house and we need to hire an engineer to help with wall removal. We are looking for a engineers in the North San Antonio, Schertz, New Braunfels area. If any of you know of a engineer that can come out and work up a proposal on what we can or should not do to our walls that would be great. I have one person coming out mid next week that will charge $200 a hour and should be able to have results in a couple weeks assuming there is nothing to crazy going on. All recommendations are welcome.

Thanks,
    Monty

Try M&S in New Braunfels. I'm not sure that's exactly up their alley but they may know someone if not.

Comment

Curios why you would need a engineer for stick framing questions? If I had to guess its for a open/living concept while removing walls? I recommend calling a reputable framer in the area and most if not all issues can be solved while saving bunch of time and money. And in a lot of cases, engineers have very little real world framing experience if any. With available common LVL's up to 24" and basic span charts, a lot can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguide View Post
        Curios why you would need a engineer for stick framing questions? If I had to guess its for a open/living concept while removing walls? I recommend calling a reputable framer in the area and most if not all issues can be solved while saving bunch of time and money. And in a lot of cases, engineers have very little real world framing experience if any. With available common LVL's up to 24" and basic span charts, a lot can be done.

Bingo. Seems scary but when its done correctly it will be the strongest span in your house.

Comment

Brilliant! Why would anyone ever trust their biggest investment of their life in someone who spent $100k in targeted education when they could find someone who has “real life experience”? I never cease to be amazed at the anamosity of people on here toward engineers.

OP, your instincts are correct. Find someone with the knowledge and computer tools to model your house and give you analytical data to support their recommendations.

I’m all about real world experience but not in this case.

Comment

I agree with this as well. Let the engineers design bridges. Get you a good framer or contractor and you will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush2Judge View Post
              Brilliant! Why would anyone ever trust their biggest investment of their life in someone who spent $100k in targeted education when they could find someone who has “real life experience”? I never cease to be amazed at the anamosity of people on here toward engineers.

OP, your instincts are correct. Find someone with the knowledge and computer tools to model your house and give you analytical data to support their recommendations.

I’m all about real world experience but not in this case.
              No one is dogging your profession or expertise in this at all. You earned it.
              There enough bashing going on here lately.

At the end of the day its gonna take a framer with the knowledge to fix it as the engineers, builder, beam company all place the blame on each other.

Comment

Working...
              X