Should old carbon steel be re tempered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should old carbon steel be re tempered?

I bought an old leather cutting knife at an antique shop. I’ve been wanting an ulu for skinning so here’s a project. An ulu was the traditional skinning and butchering tool for the Eskimo- Inuit people.

I spoke with a neighbor who is a ‘old-school’ blacksmith and makes knives. He doesn’t have or use stamps to test Rockwell hardness and said he would just sharpen and use it once I put a new handle on.

Should I treat it or leave as is?

Second, what’s the best way to clean up the blade but leave years of patina?

Thanks!

New handle shape like an ulu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bill; 09-24-2020, 08:39 AM.

Leave it.

Comment

No need to re temper anything. Electrolysis or evaporust will remove the rust but leave the pits for character.

Comment

I'd not re-harden it if it was me.

Comment

Pretty well covered already... only reason to re-temper is if it had been thru a fire, but since it appears the handle is about as old as the metal, likely it hasn't... Electrolysis will clean it and leave bare metal with pits, etc. Some of the commercial rust removers might actually work better if you want to leave it with more patina and not cleaned up quite as well... Something like "C-L-R" might be worthwhile trying to see how it turns out. If you don't like the finished look, you can always do the electrical cleaning...

One other note, that handle design you laid in may be uncomfortable for skinning and such... the ulu's seem to all have a narrow butt piece that fits within the palm of your hand since it is a solid blade/handle configuration. You are repurposing what seems to be a larger blade so might want to look at some different ideas on the handle...

Comment

I agree about the handle. I have a couple of ulu given to me by a gentleman from Alaska, his native wife designs and he makes them.
            The ulu handle would not be the best for skinning.
            It was a leather cutting knife so I bet that handle design would work pretty well for a skinner. Replace that old wood with a bois d'arc handle, maybe use the old wood for a stand for it like an ulu has.
            Really cool old knife, looking forward to your results either way you go.

Comment

I don't see any reason to re-heat treat it. I'd just sharpen it like he said.

Comment

For the clean up, just use water and 600-800 grit sanding cloth or block. Thats what ive used on 500 year old steel and it works well.
                Last edited by toledo; 09-24-2020, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Good points on the handle. From pictures, many are small and the handle fits in your palm- some larger. I’m thinking something like this, reducing the top- bottom length.

Maybe it becomes a cheese slicer

Let’s see. It’s a winter project here.

Comment

Those look better for use.
                    Looking forward to the finished pics.

Comment

I think there’s a new handle in a curved portion of this Montana scrub I picked up elk hunting.

Comment

This afternoon’s project.

Cutting from scrub juniper branch

Cutting in slots

Test fit with blade. I flipped the wood over from convex to concave- much better fit in my hand.

Comment

I’m going to ask to move this to the DIY section.

Comment

It’s in the DIY now

Comment

Working...
                            X